Unable to delete custom field description in field configuration

Lionel Cassin February 23, 2014

1. I have a custom field "Property Tag" with a description of "blah blah blah"

2. Property Tag is listed in Field Configuration "Servers"

3. I go into Field Configuration "Servers" and delete the description for the field Property Tag. I click update.

4. When I return to the Field Configuration, Property Tag still has the description "blah blah blah."

Thanks

Lionel Cassin

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2014

Probably you have set "blah blah blah" as a description of your custom field when you've created this field. When you remove the description on Field Configuration JIRA put the custom field description by default, so edit your custom field and removed the description from the Custom Field page

1 vote
Dennis Manacap July 30, 2019

I tried   it worked also..

Kevin Mowrey February 5, 2020

For me, space (" ") wouldn't work. This appeared to, until I viewed the actual screen.

Side note for people like me this is a "non breaking space"

Google says: https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/n/nbsp.htm

1 vote
Lionel Cassin February 24, 2014

Boris - thank you, you are right. If I put in a blank space " " in the Description of the field in the Field Configuration, then I get what I want: nothing. If I delete the Description entirely, then, as you said, it reverts back to the Description associated with the custom field.

Also, you are right in that the best method is to leave the custom field's Description blank. If you need to set any description, do it in the Field Configurations.

Thank you

LC

Rahul Savaikar November 26, 2018

If you want to keep the Field Description in the Custom Fields section, and make the description blank for one of the projects, you can just edit the field description in the Field Configuration and set it to blank, like below:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>

</body>
</html>

This works!

Like Erica Larson likes this

Suggest an answer