Transfer multi-select field to another multi-select field.

Sergiy Yermak June 3, 2022

Howdy smarter folks,

So the set up is this. When ticket A is created, it's fields are checked. If "Need Hardware" equals "Yes", then a new ticket B is created via automation. Both tickets have a "Type of Hardware" multi-select field. The user picks the hardware they need in the A ticket. I want that multi-select field in A to be transferred to the multi-select field in B.

First I tried plugging the smart value right in:

Screenshot 2022-06-03 160015.png

Next I tried doing this:

Screenshot 2022-06-03 161144.png

Which came back with an interesting error:

Screenshot 2022-06-03 161302.png

Anyone got good ideas for me to try?

There's this question that I found, but my situation is different since I can't really use the "Edit Issue Fields" since I am still in the automation of A. Maybe a way to refer to B?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-transfer-the-multi-select-field-selections-from-one-multi/qaq-p/1997384

My other idea was to to have them print out a certain way.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/examples-of-using-smart-values-with-lists/

In this example they print it with dashes on the ends. So somethings like:

Screenshot 2022-06-03 162054.png

But I have no idea how to print it as such.

Cheers.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2022

Hi @Sergiy Yermak,

Is Issue B created from a rule that is triggered by some event from Issue A? If so, you should be able to do this:

Create.pngThis is my example multi select field. By using the ... menu I have put it into copy mode and told it that when it creates the issue it should copy the values for that field from the issue that triggered the rule.

Cheers,

Simeon. 

Sergiy Yermak June 6, 2022

Hi Simeon,

Yes, issue B is created from a rule. When issue A is created, automation checks if issue A's request Type name equals to "Request Onboarding Process". I did a few test cases and it recognizes when that specific issue is created. Then automation checks its fields. I set up some boolean flags for this. If a flag is true, then issue B is created. At that point I want a specific field to be copied over. Both issues have the same field.

I looked at your solution and I do not get the same "Copy Multiple Select Fields from Trigger Issue" option. Is it locked behind a version/license? We have the premium version.

reply.png

Sergiy Yermak June 6, 2022

Ah! Choose the field to set, then click the 3 dots, "Copy from..."

Thank you for your help.

Like Simmo likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin