Some users do not receive E-Mails

Jonathan Purol December 27, 2021

We have a cloud instance with a few hundred users. Setups for them worked flawlessly so far, however, two of the most recently invited users do NOT receive Jira notifications. This persists through resends, e-mail aliases, deleting and recreating the account, and seemingly even system based. I.e. a completely separate e-mail account on the same system also does not receive e-mails. Creating an account on my own system with a new E-Mail works flawlessly however.
It should be noted: We create users through the JIRA API. But this worked for dozens of people and everything looks fine in the web-interface. After the initial creation via the API any other attempt fails, as aforementioned. I've read that this could be an internal error:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Not-receiving-emails-from-Atlassian/qaq-p/1835956

Which I couldn't fix. But I was unable to open a support ticket. Trying to contact support just redirects me to the community page or the "support offerings page", which has a "Get support" button, which just redirects me to the "contact support" page.

I'm a bit lost and would appreciate any help.

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2022

Hi @Jonathan Purol ,

I responded yesterday on a support ticket that came in for your organization. For the benefit of others potentially landing on this question, I'll just briefly mention two pieces of information:

1. In some cases, it's possible for email addresses to wind up on an internal suppression list in Atlassian Cloud's mail delivery systems. Atlassian is working on a way to present this information to site admins, which is being tracked as JRACLOUD-67264 . Currently Atlassian Support must clear this condition for suppressed email addresses.
  2. If Office365 is your mail provider, creating a mail flow rule can help with a common problem where Exchange Online Protection rejects messages. Details about this problem and the rule to fix it are in Unblocking Office365 emails for Atlassian Cloud .

If you need additional help, please reply to the email from your support case.

Thanks,
Daniel | Atlassian Support 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2021

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the community. First if you are being redirected here from support then it is most likely because you are on the free version of the product. The free version does not receive product support from Atlassian.

My first question would be - what happens if you add those same users directly via the user interface? Just trying to rule out if it's an API thing or not. My second question would be what other possible unique factors are there with these users when comparing them to the previous users? Are they the same email domain? Are they using the same email service?

It certainly could be related to the link that you provided. I've seen this occur especially I'm free Versions.

Jonathan Purol December 29, 2021

Any further attempt upon the initial failure was done manually through the web interface. I don't think this rules out the API being a problem though, since accounts that are created completely by scratch through the web interface DO work. Issues only seem to occur if the account was first created through the API and then tried to be made "valid" (i.e. resending the invitation, using an e-mail alias, etc.).
Whilst I'm unsure about the exact version we're using (I can look it up if that has any significance) I can assure you that we're neither using the free, nor the Premium version. I assume "Standard" or something similar will be the term.

Yes, all users are on the same domain; our microsoft domain. However that same domain is also used by hundreds of other users without problems. It's only for these two people that issues occured. The process (even through the API) has worked for weeks beforehand.

Thank you for your response!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

Thanks for the info Jonathan. I’m not sure how to direct you at this point. If I could reproduce then I could troubleshoot myself. Maybe others will chime in here with ideas. If you find the cause or other key bits of info please update here.

Like Jonathan Purol likes this
Jonathan Purol December 29, 2021

The feeling is mutual, I am also unsure how to approach this task. I would have figured the user simply forgot to check the spam folder, but I have verified this by logging into their mailbox myself. At this point I have exhausted all my options. Let's hope there is a solution to this problem! If I make any progress on it I will post it here for future reference.

Suggest an answer