Sharing Filters with Custom Groups

Anthony Wu December 7, 2011

When I try to share a filter with groups, it only allows me to make shares to

-jira-administrators

-jira-users

-jira-developers

How come the rest of the groups don't show up in there? Just those 3.

2 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2011
Are you member of those groups?
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2011
I am asking this because you can only share with roles and groups you are member of. please check http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Saving+Searches+%28%27Issue+Filters%27%29#SavingSearchesIssueFilters-SharingaFilter
Anthony Wu December 7, 2011

That's very helpful. I added myself to all groups, and now I see it.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Brian Begy September 21, 2015

I can't share my filter with "Executives" unless I am one? That's crazy.

Like # people like this
Richard Trivino September 29, 2015

Brian, if you think about it, makes sense. Differente groups can have different permissions over Jira issues, so you shouldn't be able to show a filter to somebody that may have less permissions than you. If you have permissions to handle information relevant to the "Executives" group, why you shouldn't be on that group? If that group have more permissions than you, but you want to share something with them, they they should also be in the same group you are.

Derek Yadgaroff October 10, 2017

This worked for me, but I had to log out/in before I saw the group as an option.

Like # people like this
Dan Kaufman February 23, 2018

This behavior is really silly.  I am an jira administrator.  I am also in a development group that has many more permissions that the "product management" group.  I want to give access to the "product management" group even though I am not a member.  What ends up happening is that I now have to add myself to every group that needs access to this board.  Now instead of being in a group or two that describes my duties, I am in every group that may need access to a particular resource that I have access to through a different group.

STUPID.

Like # people like this
lukasz luniewski June 11, 2018

I agree! sadly JIRA is full of small surprises like this one!

Like Abhi Singh likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2018

Super loco Jira behavior - I ran into this issue a year ago, and JUST ran into it again. Small surprises indeed. :p

Like Abhi Singh likes this
Veve November 29, 2018

Agree.

If I add myself to every group, they will be useless for filtering.

Like Rabbit Stoddard likes this
Jorge C October 8, 2019

They should have Jira Admin can see all groups; seems dumb to make them join a group.

Like Dietmar Sanoll likes this
Dietmar Sanoll November 7, 2019

@Jorge C: I agree with you. It makes sense for a "normal user", because this way he/she can not share with someone he/she shouldn't. But a "Jira Admin" (who hopefully knows what he/she is doing ;-)) should be able to manage filters for his/her users! Otherwise the whole system is going to be a mess with multiple filters for the same thing, ...

Lewis Hall May 29, 2020

Thanks for the solution, was making me think I had something wrong, but no just odd behaviour. 

I am working with project roles, so after adding myself to the role I wanted to add and amending the filter, I removed myself from the role and the filter remains.

Like # people like this
Carl Sjoquist November 12, 2020

Another option is to create a role, add any groups to that role (even if you don't belong to the groups), and add that role to a project.  You can then share a filter or dashboard with that project/role.   Clunky but better that having to add the filter owner to a group only to let them share with that group.    This is on cloud, btw, not sure if server behaves the same.

Erin Mihalik January 26, 2021

The project role version is a solid workaround but overall this is bizarre behavior.

Yes, I understand you could inherently share a filter with people that don't have access to certain items or projects but in that case, then they would launch the filter and not see that stuff.

We do not have a singular Jira Admin to handle most things so I have been doing a massive cleanup to groups so that it is easier for IT to manage who belongs where.  

In the example where this logic sucks is the Product Team wishes to share a filtered list of Quarter 2 items with dev leadership.  I have an all-product group and a dev-leadership group.  But to share with those groups, we would need the product group to also be in the leadership group - pretty crappy.

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

Jira tries to restrict who can see all group names. The oddness is documented at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/saving-your-search-as-a-filter-939937724.html#Savingyoursearchasafilter-sharing_filtersSharingafilter with 

"Note that you can only share filters with groups/roles of which you are a member." 

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2017

Better to share by project anyway

Like Dave Liao likes this

Suggest an answer