Set assignee based on custom field value using "Assigne the issue to Smart value"

Sheldon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 4, 2020

In a next-gen project when a ticket moves into our Programming In Progress column I want the assignee to automatically get set to the user who is in our custom field called Programmer.  I've figured out that the actual name of the field is "customfield_10187".

automation screenshot.PNG

I've tried the following values in the User field with no luck:

• {{Programmer}}
  • {{Programmer[0]}}
  • {{Programmer[0].displayName}}
  • {{customfield_10187}}
  • {{customfield_10187[0]}}
  • {{customfield_10187[0].displayName}}

I've also tried using "issue.fields." in front of the above attempts.  Since the Programmer field can have multiple programmers listed (actually, we've set it to only allow one for the project, but the field type technically allows for multiples so the json value of the field shows as an array of person objects when looking at the raw data for the issue even though there is only one).  I've tried various index values other than 0.  I've also tried using the displayName property.

The Audit logs show SUCCESS statuses for the actions, but when you show more detail it also says "Issue already assigned to user"

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2020

Hello @Sheldon

Thank you for reaching out.

As mentioned in this question, the Automation for Jira Cloud does not support the people field of Next-gen projects.

In fact, Jira Next-gen has different custom fields from classic projects, which are treated as unique identities on each project and are not mapped in the Automation for Jira yet. We have the following feature request to make it work as intended:

Support the People field 

Please, take a look at the feature request to see when we have any updates about its fix implementation.

For now, the only possible way to configure this automation would be by using a Classic project.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Mark Adkins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 20, 2021

I'm using a classic project and have the same issue.   I'm trying to set the Assignee field from a custom field {{customfield_10078.displayName}}.  I've checked the JSON and also created a log action to check and make sure this was setting the correct value.  But when I execute the Assign the Issue To action, it shows in the log as "Issue already assigned to user"

Suggest an answer