Resolution date get set when a new issue is created.

ia_pmeunier May 3, 2019

Hi all,

I have an this issue with a client of mine in a Jira software project. The resolution date get set when a new issue is created in a particular Jira project. The issue began 2-3 days ago

I've checked the following:

• Post-functions in project workflow
    • Only one and it is sending an email.
    • Workflow hadn't been touched since January.
  • Automation for jira
    • No rules is setting the resolution or the resolution date field.
  • Scriptrunner
    • No script mapped to this project
    • No scripted field for that project
  • Activitity, history and transition feed are clean.

I've found only one thread were someone had the issue in 2014 on 7.6.6 and the answer was to workaround the issue with a post-function to set the resolution field to unresolved...our field is unresolved, the issue is brand spanking new.

If you have any new pointer for me, that would be great because I don't know were to look next. I will be opening an issue with atlassian on monday.

5 answers

0 votes
Yoann BETZI December 1, 2022

@ia_pmeunier 

Hello,

I had the same issue as you: issues created in a Software project triggered by a Service Management project thanks to Automation for Jira (Clone issue action) have a resolution date set while the resolution is Unresolved.

We applied the solution mentioned in [JRASERVER-70656] Default Resolution causes issues to be created with Resolution Date and empty Resolution - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.: clearing the default resolution in Issues/Resolution admin screen did the trick. Note that we're still using an old (7.13) version of Jira Data Center. Such a bug should be fixed in earlier versions.

Regards.

0 votes
Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

For those who don't have the fixed version available, here is my workaround:

Step 1: add a post function to clear resolution.

if you add this as number 2 (after ticket creation does not work).

ScreenHunter 3173.png

0 votes
DevRimantas September 1, 2020

What is your jira version? It might be due to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-70656

And what about your screen schemes - is the resolution field present in view/create screens? https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-is-quot-Resolved-quot-date-set-on-issue-creation/qaq-p/1146125

0 votes
Bryan Trummer - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2019

Just curious do all the projects share the same workflow?

ia_pmeunier May 3, 2019

Nope. I have been able to scope the issue to what we call "hybrid" projects. We combine a software with a service desk projects to add a portal feature to some software projets. The automation tool is Automation for Jira at the moment and only projects created with those rules have the resolution date set.

ia_pmeunier May 3, 2019

While being unresolved I might add.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2019

Hello @ia_pmeunier 

Is it happening only when the issue is created? Or also when someone tries to edit the issue. Also, is the update resolution action reflected in the issue history?

This could be happening if the client has added the "Resolution" field on the edit screen of the issue. Because when he tries to edit the issue then the resolution would get automatically set. That's why it's advised to have the field only on the transition screen and not anywhere else.

ia_pmeunier May 3, 2019

I've continued my testing and it is not only in that project. It is happening in all projet. I need to change the scope of my research. I'll get back with more infos.

I'll change the focus to this:

• Look for automation or script that are global or not restricted to a project context.
  • Any other thing that could have a global impact on the instance.
  • I will think of something else ;)

@Tarun Sapra: Yes, only when it is created. there is no resolution field in the edit screens, we use a transition screen just for that. No history at all about a change on the resolution screen.

Which is what bother me the most. If it was a modification on the resolution  field I could easily find the culprit. But the resolution date field get set while the resolution field stays unresolved. It makes it harder to scope the search...

Thanks for your answer!

Suggest an answer