Why is "Resolved" date set on issue creation

Sam Ferguson August 2, 2019

We have recently started running into a problem where the "resolved" date field is getting set right when issues are created. While resolved is being set, resolution is still empty and shows Unresolved. This is happening on about 75% of our issues.

Because resolved data is an integral part of data analytics, this has significantly impacted our ability to run reports in JIRA.

This problem started popping up on July 30, but the associated workflow has not changed in several months. I am not aware of any other JIRA admin changes that coincide with this problem.

A couple of other notes:

• We do not have an "unresolved" resolution.
  • The resolution field is not included on our create issue screen.
  • There is no post function on the issue created transition that changes the resolution or resolved fields

Please let me know if you have any insight into why this problem might be occurring and how it can be solved.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sam Ferguson August 6, 2019

After exploring this issue further, I discovered the root cause:

The problem was related to JIRA's transition to the New Issue View. It turns out that although we could not see "Resolution" on the Create Issue Screen, it was hidden in the background of the New Issue View. This means that whenever an issue was created, Resolution was being left alone as Unresolved, but this event was still triggering the Resolved field to update.

I fixed this problem by removing the Resolution Field from the create issue screen configuration.

Clayton Wells
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 4, 2020

I experianced the same thing rece

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2019

Hi @Sam Ferguson 

The above is an odd behavior and if as you said you changed nothing, I’ll still suggest checking the workflow to see if there’s a resolution post function first.

After this clone the workflow and apply the cloned work with the project and test again if the issue occurs.

Were any new addons added that could cause this(e.g. an automation add-on).

Check the issue history of an issue which is resolved as it is created and check what event triggered the resolution. This can hint as to what is going on.

Let’s start with these first.

Sam Ferguson August 2, 2019

Ismael - thank you for your quick response

I checked the workflow for a post function and there was no post function associated with the Issue Created Transition.

No addons have been added recently and cloning the workflow did not resolve the issue.

Individual issue histories do not have any reference to this change in the resolved date.

Interestingly, our workflow has always had a post function that clears the resolution between Open -> In Progress. Therefore, whenever these issues get transitioned to In Progress, the Resolved date disappears.

In order to temporarily fix the problem, I tried adding a clear the resolution post function to the create issue transition. However, the resolved date is still getting set.

This post function is currently in between the create issue and event listener post functions (See attached screenshot). This makes me think that maybe there is a create issue event listener setting the resolved date?

I have no experience working with listeners, so do you know if this is possible and how I could check? Thanks.Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.23.33 PM.png

Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

For those who don't have the fixed version available, here is my workaround:

Step 1: add a post function to clear resolution.

if you add this as number 2 (after ticket creation) does not work).ScreenHunter 3173.png

Suggest an answer