Re-Using Modified Project Key

Lucas Garlepp August 23, 2019

I have used a project key for a project but later redefined that project key as it was set incorrectly.

I have a new project where I wish to use the OLD project key that my other project is no longer using, but JIRA still says that key is in use.

Is there a way to free up that Key - there must be a record of it somewhere even though the project it was originally used for no longer uses it.

1 answer

0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2019
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2019

Yes you would need to go into the DB and remove any reference. Jira holds onto the project key even after deletion project. 

Lucas Garlepp August 23, 2019

Thanks for the quick response Jack! How do I do that with a cloud app.  Didn't know we had access?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2019

Well there is the catch. You cannot. I would suggest reaching out to Atlassian Support and see if they would do it on your behalf. I have no idea if they will but worth a shot. If you go that path pleas update here with results. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

For those of us on server - you have to clean out the project table and the "moved issues" table, which means you lose a chunk of history.

Suggest an answer