It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Re-Using Modified Project Key

I have used a project key for a project but later redefined that project key as it was set incorrectly.

I have a new project where I wish to use the OLD project key that my other project is no longer using, but JIRA still says that key is in use.

Is there a way to free up that Key - there must be a record of it somewhere even though the project it was originally used for no longer uses it.

1 answer

Jack Community Leader Aug 23, 2019

Yes you would need to go into the DB and remove any reference. Jira holds onto the project key even after deletion project. 

Thanks for the quick response Jack! How do I do that with a cloud app.  Didn't know we had access?

Jack Community Leader Aug 23, 2019

Well there is the catch. You cannot. I would suggest reaching out to Atlassian Support and see if they would do it on your behalf. I have no idea if they will but worth a shot. If you go that path pleas update here with results. 

For those of us on server - you have to clean out the project table and the "moved issues" table, which means you lose a chunk of history.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

962 views 8 25
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you