Is there now way to reuse a Project Key on a new project?

Will Ryan May 2, 2019

We are trying to use next-gen features in a Jira project which is forcing us to create a new project with these features (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects-957974933.html)

The problem is the team really wants to use the old project key. But I can't bring it over as stated here (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver080/editing-a-project-key-967897188.html#Editingaprojectkey-Post-updatetasks)

Am I just out of luck here?

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2019

Hi Will,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

The only way to reuse a project key would be if you delete the existing project. Once you use a project key, it is tied to that project.

Will Ryan May 8, 2019

Thanks, Mikael for the help!

Danielle Bonneau February 12, 2021

Hi! I just tried this in Jira Cloud and it didn't work - I deleted the "Erika Demo 2" (key: ED2) project, went to create a new project with the ED2 project key, and it gives an error saying "Project 'Erika Demo 2' uses this project key".  I'm wondering if the 60 days in the trash needs to pass before it can be reused? 

Like Marco Lopes likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

@Danielle Bonneau No, you do not have to wait 60 days, just go into the trash and delete the project. then you should be able to reuse the key.

Like # people like this
Danielle Bonneau February 12, 2021

OH I see, thank you Mikael! That worked.

Like # people like this
Jeramy Spring October 18, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg - Do you know if there is a way to do this with Jira Data Center? 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2023

@Jeramy Spring If you delete a project in Jira DC it is not moved to trash, it is instantly deleted if I remember correctly. 

Like Jeramy Spring likes this
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2023

@Will Ryan The project key is logged in the data warehouse. When a project is deleted the key stays in the data warehouse. So you would have to contact the JIRA System administrator to remove the project key from the roster so Jira thinks it is a new key.

Jeramy Spring October 19, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg - Thank you for the response. I will double-check because I thought it kept the key in the database, even after deleting the project. Take care.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2023

@Jeramy Spring You are correct, on Jira DC once you used a project key you cannot reuse it unless you delete if from the DB (it's been 3+ years since I was using DC). There is a suggestion to add a feature to be able to do it without doing into the DB and do it, JRASERVER-72112.

Suggest an answer