One project, multiple boards?

Jenny April 4, 2018

Hi,

I am very new to Jira. I have perused the forum, but couldn't find  a definitive answer.

I have one large project that includes 2 dev teams (let's say Team A and Team B). They are working independently.

I want to be able to track their velocity separately, but still have everything on one page as I need to report up on the status on the project itself.

If I understood correctly, there are 2 ways of handling this:

- Have one board for the project, one backlog, stories have Components (Team A/B) and enable parallel sprints. Then filter per component/team.

- Have 2 boards for the project, 1 for Team A and 1 for Team B

Have I understood correctly? What are the downsides for each approach? Any other options?

Many thanks!

Jenny

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Prashant Mali
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

Hi Jenny,

there are some few points to discuss on parallel sprint :

• this situation would be great if both team are using same backlog
  • velocity chart will not show velocity per team
  • this implementation assumes that the teams perform estimation separately which is unlikely in practice. 
Chung Park Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

I guess the key here is 'work independently' so I'd assume the estimation would be different. If that's the case, having different boards would be better

Jenny April 6, 2018

Thank you! I asked around and indeed, 2 boards seem the way to go.

Shelly Votava September 24, 2018

Hello,

I have a similar issue and would like to use two boards.

Is there a key field I could use to direct the "issue" to the correct board.

All development is going to one team.  However, I have roadmap items that are managed separately from customer development/bug fixes.

I was hoping there is a way to direct the items to the correct board just based on how the issue was set up.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

Like extern_Nelson_Loia likes this
Shaun Parker July 3, 2019

Hi.

I have just found this thread. I have a question to ask if I may?

What is the best practice?

1 Project for 1 Board - keep it simple.

1 Project with multiple boards - not so simple.

We are setting up Jira Cloud and I would like to know what is the best way to configure the projects / boards.

Thanks

Shaun

0 votes
James A Rosen April 13, 2021

One of the problems with one-project-per-board is that it makes it difficult for management to get visibility across teams.

There’s no way to build a cross-team velocity widget in a Jira dashboard. There’s also no way to export velocity data from Jira. So the only way to see velocity across N teams is to build a dashboard with N velocity widgets.

Suggest an answer