It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

One project, multiple boards?

Hi,

I am very new to Jira. I have perused the forum, but couldn't find  a definitive answer.

I have one large project that includes 2 dev teams (let's say Team A and Team B). They are working independently.

I want to be able to track their velocity separately, but still have everything on one page as I need to report up on the status on the project itself.

If I understood correctly, there are 2 ways of handling this:

- Have one board for the project, one backlog, stories have Components (Team A/B) and enable parallel sprints. Then filter per component/team.

- Have 2 boards for the project, 1 for Team A and 1 for Team B

Have I understood correctly? What are the downsides for each approach? Any other options?

Many thanks!

Jenny

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Jenny,

there are some few points to discuss on parallel sprint :

• this situation would be great if both team are using same backlog
  • velocity chart will not show velocity per team
  • this implementation assumes that the teams perform estimation separately which is unlikely in practice. 

I guess the key here is 'work independently' so I'd assume the estimation would be different. If that's the case, having different boards would be better

Thank you! I asked around and indeed, 2 boards seem the way to go.

Hello,

I have a similar issue and would like to use two boards.

Is there a key field I could use to direct the "issue" to the correct board.

All development is going to one team.  However, I have roadmap items that are managed separately from customer development/bug fixes.

I was hoping there is a way to direct the items to the correct board just based on how the issue was set up.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

Hi.

I have just found this thread. I have a question to ask if I may?

What is the best practice?

1 Project for 1 Board - keep it simple.

1 Project with multiple boards - not so simple.

We are setting up Jira Cloud and I would like to know what is the best way to configure the projects / boards.

Thanks

Shaun

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you