Nested Groups in JIRA Cloud

Alexandra Smith October 23, 2018

Hello,

My company is currently evaluating a possible move to cloud from server and one of the things that we need to retain is the ability to nest groups. Is that possible in cloud? I don't see it in the administration or any documentation around it. If anyone could clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2018

Hi Alexandra,

Currently, Jira Cloud does not have the Nested Group feature.
We had a feature request suggesting this, but it was closed as "Won't do".
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-167
For now, there are no plans to implement this.

If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Alexandra Smith October 24, 2018

While that is extremely disappointing, I do appreciate the quick and definitive response. Thanks.

Like Jon Irusta likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2018

You are always welcome Alexandra!

Regards,
Angélica

Arnd Layer May 14, 2021

Nested groups does dramatically reduce the need to manage individual group memberships and therefore reduces the probability of errors. From my point of view, this decision makes the Atlassian Cloud less secure.

Like # people like this
Chris Power February 16, 2022

I agree this is really disappointing.  As our team size grows it's getting harder to manage group memberships.  This is such a standard concept for group/role management and it's available in the datacenter version.  I'd love to know why it was closed as "Won't do".

Like # people like this
Mariam Ahmadi September 11, 2022

agreed!

7 votes
Deleted user July 25, 2021

Guys with a more complex setup of groups, the missing option of "nested groups" in the cloud is really painful.... Maybe reconsider your decision? or is there a reason we as customers don't see? what is atlassian suggestions to manage the groups?

Luke Murphy January 24, 2022

I agree entirely

0 votes
Mariam Ahmadi September 11, 2022

What a bummer 

0 votes
krister.plahn March 30, 2022

10 years later and still not implemented.

Suggest an answer