Modify Reporter not working

Miles Monty March 9, 2021

Hello, I'm trying to allow people in my projects to modify the reporter on tickets. Mostly these are cloned issues, but not all the time, and the problem happens with both types. 

I've set the project specific permissions to allow the correct project role to perform this action, and after finding some other related tickets in this community, I've also confirmed that I'm in the Global permissions section called Browse Users. 

To clarify on the symptom, when hovering the mouse over the Reporter field, it doesn't give me the option to change it in the same way that the Assignee field directly above it, does. 

I'm on Cloud Jira, I'm an admin, and I've also confirmed with the permissions helper that I should be able to perform this action (there were ticks across the board!)

Cheers in advance! 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

Hi @Miles Monty 

Please check if the "Reporter" field is added to the "Edit Screen".

Miles Monty March 9, 2021

Amazing, thanks very much! 

Wow, how profoundly confusing that the field so clearly shows on the page but hasn't been explicitly added in the legacy Edit screen. 

Petri Paajanen March 19, 2021

Sorry my stupidity but have to ask. Where is this "Edit Screen"? I have a same problem but can't find "Edit Screen". I may be a little blind now...

Amy Drescher April 19, 2021

@Petri Paajanen I found it by
Project Settings>Screens 
Using Actions (upper right)>Edit Screens>Screens
locating the Issue Screen Scheme
finding IssueOperation= Edit Issue - click to open

Configure Screen - See Field list - mine was missing reporter.  Added and then was able to change the Reporter

Shashank Shekhar Singh June 4, 2021

Do you think 'Modify Reporter' permission is inter-dependent on 'Edit Issue'?

In below example permission granted to a user 'A' are given-

Modify Reporter- Yes , Edit Issue- No ==> User 'A' cannot modify reporter
Modify Reporter- Yes, Edit Issue- Yes ==> user 'A' can modify reporter

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

@Miles Monty 

Since you confirmed that you have permission and should be able to do it can you confirm that the edit screen on the screen scheme has reporter on it.  If you are using a next-gen project you need make sure that reporter is on the request type under context fields (service management)

Suggest an answer