Link Issue (Tasks with sub-tasks) to Epic in Jira Automation Rule

Natalia Golikova May 4, 2020

Hi everyone,

I would like to create a monthly scheduled rule with Epic and Tasks which have Sub-tasks. How can I link Tasks (Issues) to the Epic? 

If I create a branch it doesn't give me to add one more level a branch with subtasks for the recent created issue.

What are the options?

I found a similar question

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-create-a-Epic-on-a-schedule-and-then-create-subsequent/qaq-p/759810

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2020

Hello @Natalia Golikova

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand that you want to schedule an automation rule to create a pre-configured number of Epic, Tasks and Sub-tasks (Linked to each other) at the start of the month. Is that correct?

To achieve that, you can configure three rules and, using a common field value, make each one to be triggered by the other in a waterfall basis, properly creating the related tasks and sub-tasks as you need.

These would be the exact steps to achieve your need:

1. Create a new select list custom field with the option "Automatically created", adding it to the create screen of your Epics and Tasks
  2. Create a scheduled rule to create the Epic you need and set the Epic with the option "Automatically created" in the custom field you created:
     Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 17.06.28.png
  3. Create another rule to create your tasks and link them to the Epic that triggered the rule. To do it, flag the rule to be triggered by another rule (In the Rule Details) and set it to trigger when an Epic is created with the custom field set as "Automatically created":
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 17.11.31.png
  4. Create another Rule(s) with the same logic to create the sub-tasks:
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 17.20.45.png
  5. P.S: If you want to create multiple tasks and Sub-tasks, you can add more options in the Custom field (Like task 1, task 2, etc) and use them to properly select which tasks the sub-tasks must be linked.

Let us know if this is what you are looking for or if you have any questions.

Natalia Golikova June 3, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves  Thanks a lot! It works!

Michael Trice October 21, 2020

Does this work for Next Gen projects?

Dr Sudhir Ajja
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 3, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves I did and rechecked everything, but ...

1. on autorun,
    1. the epic (patient name) gets formed
    2. Task (e2)  gets  formed,  but NOT IN THE EPIC
    3. Subtask gets formed, in the task
  2. If I manually create new Epic
    1. epic is formed> task inside it> subtask inside it.

Can anyone tell me  where  am I going  wrong?

Link  for all images.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2020

Hello @Michael Trice and @Dr Sudhir Ajja

The steps above are only applicable to Classic projects, so it might not work for Next-gen projects.

For Next-gen, you must use the Parent field instead of Epic link to link both Epic and task.

Let us know if this information helps.

Dr Sudhir Ajja
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 6, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves THank  you for quick reply. 
It is a classic  project.

Can you  please look at my screenshots and let me know what I am missing? I tried to copy  everything that you mentioned.

LInk to  the  images

0 votes
jorma nordlin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 27, 2022

Does the automatically created task make trigger at all? I tested this. I thought maybe this wouldn't work. I did a simple test. The first automation created a task. Second automation triggered when first task is created and created another task if task's reporter is Automation for Jira. This didn't work.

Maybe when creating a task, the trigger only works if we using the user interface. I don't know.

Suggest an answer