Jira_How do I turn off AutoFormatting in Description text fields?

Thiếu tá Phạm Xuân Bách December 10, 2018

How do I turn off AutoFormatting in Description text fields?

When I copy/paste a whole paragraph, Jira do autoformat all, so I lost all my original formatting.

I try as in this topic, but no help!

I have search and see a topic showing some setting that can be turn on/off, but I didn't see in mine. Ask our administrator but no response.

If anyone have a workaround for this, please post!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2018

Are you using Jira Cloud or Jira Server?  If Jira Server: What version of Jira is this?

You should be able to preserve the formatting or richtext just by making sure that the description field is set to use the Visual Editor and not the Text editor.  Pasting that copied info when in the Text mode will strip out all the formatting.

visualtextoption1.png

It is very possible you don't see the same options when creating issues in jira as my screenshot. Which is why I want to better understand your version of Jira and what you do see here.   I might be misunderstanding what you mean by the term 'autoformatting' here, so maybe it would help for you to show me a screenshot or two that might help better explain the behavior you are seeing in Jira.

Thanks

Andy

Thiếu tá Phạm Xuân Bách December 20, 2018

ah thank you, 

This text mode solve my problem!

Chris Kemp May 16, 2022

@Andy Heinzer could you confirm if this solution is available in Jira Cloud, and what privileges' are required to change to Visual?

Please note, my concern is a bit more 'urgent' than a Description.  I need to capture (copy/paste) Actual Results into the Xray Test issue.  Obviously, an actual result cannot be altered, otherwise it wouldn't be the actual result :)

NB Please differentiate between Jira Admin and Project Admin, Cloud Project Managed and Cloud Team Managed.

(as our Jira Cloud is managed by a third party support organisation, certain things are obscured for me.  I would very much appreciate detailed information so that I can direct them to provide a solution)

Also, using <code> is not a solution for me, as it restricts the amount of text and I cannot highlight (colour text).  It is a shame the <quote> option does not actually quote the text, as it too suffers from this behaviour, which seems a bit odd as 'I' would expect it to be a good usage of 'quote'.

Many thanks

0 votes
Murat Sahan March 9, 2020

Hi We use Jira server 7.11 and this does not solve the problem using for instance doubleunderscore A__B__C will show A_B_C and this is highly annoying when we copy and paste large amount of text. 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2020

Hi @Murat Sahan 

Sorry to hear about your problem here.  However for fields like Description or Comments in Jira, these default to using the wiki-markup renderer.  This render has a help page over in https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=texteffects

Basically, the use of the underscore before and after a string is meant to italicize or add emphasis as noted there. Which is why the B is italic here and missing an underscore on either side of it.

As for ways around this, well in Jira you can use the {noformat} tag on both ends of your text to encapsulate it to prevent Jira from using the wiki markup on that text there.  You could also use {code} in the same way.  If you enter that tag in manually, you need to make sure you are in the TEXT edit mode and not in the Visual mode.  You can still use these in Visual mode, but you need to select them from the toolbar instead of typing it out.

You could also change the field configuration so that description is not using the wiki-markup renderer, but this would be applied then to all projects that use that field configuration, which might not be what you want to do here to work past that problem.

I hope that helps.

Andy

Guillaume Wolf May 4, 2021

{noformat} does not work in Jira Cloud

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer