Jira Cloud - How to Bulk Import Custom Field Values into Single Select List?

Patrick Chen May 14, 2021

Hello, I need to populate a Single Select List Custom Field with about 1000 option values. 

In Jira Onprem I could use Scriptrunner built-in script to do that but there's no offered functionality in Jira Cloud.

Any recommendations/guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

2 answers

2 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

I'd go with a Python script and loop over the list of option names calling the REST resource

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-project-components/#api-rest-api-3-component-post

but it is a bit fiddly. Does Bob Swift has a plugin to do this perhaps?

1 vote
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2021

Create a spreadsheet with all 1000 option values in a single column, along with Summary of "DELETE THIS".

Save as CSV.

Import CSV, populating custom field with contents of that single column.

Delete all 1000 issues where Summary = "DELETE THIS"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-bulk-import-custom-field-values-for-certain-types-of-custom-field-827123935.html

BUT ALSO... 1000 option values? That's a lot of scrolling!

Possible concerns over performance:

Patrick Chen May 17, 2021

Thanks Darryl, I will give this a try.

Yes, unfortunately we do need over 1000 option values for this dropdown in order to enforce correct spelling and ability to filter accurately. Fortunately, select lists in Jira Cloud already auto-search when typing so there's no need to scroll.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events