Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit in the select (dropdown) values

Subramanya H S July 9, 2020

Is there any limit on select (drodown) values like product name in jira service desk cloud by default, one of our category values run more than 1000 

4 answers

3 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2020

Hello @Subramanya H S

Thank you for reaching out.

There is no hard limit in the number of options that you can add to a custom field in Jira Cloud (Select lists of Single or multiple choice), however, a custom field with a high number of options might take a while to load when typing characters on the search.

That being said, I would recommend to don't have a list with too many options in order to avoid performance issues. In case you start to feel any slowness to find options with the field, please look for another select list to split your options.

Additionally, please ensure you are following our Storage for Jira and Confluence documentation. There are no hard limits for the storages specified there at this moment, however, once we enforce those limits you might not be able to add more content to your site if you have exceeded the plan limit, having to upgrade it to another plan.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Joshua Eby March 3, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves Can you confirm this is still the case?  I have a custom drop down with around 60 items and I went to add one more and now I cannot add anything.  It is greyed out and not selectable.  I have found other posts that make it seem like it was limited to 55?  Any way to change that back so I can add a couple more items?

In my case, I am using Jira Software next-gen...

JUAN SAUDADE SERRANO ARDILA July 1, 2021

Hi @Joshua Eby did you find any solution to this issue? i am still struggling in adding more options.

Best.

Like James Park likes this
Joshua Eby July 2, 2021

Nope.  Seems like Atlassian decided to limit them to 55 or something around there.  So because we have more than that, I cannot add anymore.  Really disappointed in this.

Express Services August 15, 2021

hi, i am facing the same problem, if any solution, please let me know.
i have a custom field (dropdown) and now i can not add more records in it.

luz_botero August 15, 2023

Hola. Pudieron encontrar solución a este caso? Tengo el mismo problema y llevo días buscando solución. Necesito una lista desplegable con más de 55 opciones.

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2023

Thanks for the post @Subramanya H S and your answer @Petter Gonçalves 

I have a slightly similary post here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Maximum-number-of-options-in-a-dropdown/qaq-p/2390152 - wondering if there is any kind of "sweet spot"/threshold of how many items we can/should add to a select. 

We currently have about 30000 that I think might affect performance but I dont want to implement it if 1. it affects performance and 2. cannot be measured in terms of performance.

Please advise?

0 votes
Dave Symonds December 20, 2021

I am using values in an automation and the limit I have is 15 displayed - played around with this and that's confirmed it so this "There is no hard limit in the number of options that you can add to a custom field in Jira Cloud (Select lists of Single or multiple choice)"  is BS

Dave Symonds December 20, 2021

Ok you can add them but they wont display past 15

0 votes
Joshua Eby March 3, 2021

@Subramanya H S Are you seeing a limit now?  We use Jira Software (next-gen) and in the past I tested this and was over 200 and have never had an issue, but now I have one that has just over 60 options and I cannot add anything to it now.

Subramanya H S March 3, 2021

We had issues earlier, we took different approach

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events