JQL subquery

Desk Alert October 8, 2017

Dear Jira team

Do you plan to advance JQL syntax to add sqb-queries feature? I think it is very useful thing for me and for most of JIRA administrators 

Regards,

Andrew Starukhin

DeskAlerts Team Leader

3 answers

10 votes
Jeremy Ferguson January 29, 2018

I think the answer is no. They have had the request for this feature for at least 9 years and have not implemented it. They make money from people buying 3rd party jira plugins that add the gaping gaps in functionality. So.. it seems the business decision is to leave the software broken, so they make more money.

İbrahim DEDE April 22, 2021

what are 3rd party jira plugins

6 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2017

Hi Andrew,

There are related feature requests for your question in JAC:

JRASERVER-18918 (for Server)

JRACLOUD-18918 (for Cloud)

That does not guarantee that Atlassian will be providing this functionality anytime soon, but you can watch the issues to stay informed.

In the meantime, be aware that you could already cover certain use cases using the statement <some JQL> AND Filter = "<name of a saved filter>" (or the filter id would work as well).

For some other cases, Scriptrunner might be a handy extension of your toolbox as well. For some examples and a link to more documentation, see this related question.

Crisler T. Moor January 24, 2020

Thanks for the trick about "and Filter =".

It really makes complex filters much more readable.

Like david_ruiz likes this
0 votes
Filip Rogaczewski June 20, 2019

Hi Andrew, 

I realise that 3rd party application may not be what you're looking for, but there is an app called JQL Search Extensions which does what you're after. Please have a look at the documentation.

Suggest an answer