It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JIRA next gen - how to import csv to update existing issues without creating new issues?

Issues already exist in the project.

I created an export of these issues, revised the values of some data and now want to import the csv to change the values of the existing issues.

Bulk update will not work bc there are different values for different issues.

How can I use import to update existing issues without creating new issues?

2 answers

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar Community Leader May 30, 2019

A csv import will update existing issues if a column with issue keys is mapped to issuekey field.

Including the summary is also required, even if you are just updating instead of creating new issues.

Ensure all columns contain valid data for the fields you are going to map them to.

By following the import wizard till the end, you'll update issues as desired.

There is no "Issue Key" in the JIRA fields dropdown. See screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 12.35.42 PM.png

Ignacio Pulgar Community Leader Jun 03, 2019

May you try typing "Issue Key"?

Maybe I already tried that and nothing came up?

Anyway I already found my answer - next gen might only support through the import that the administrator can access. I was hoping next gen would be better. 

Here's the link that states it does not support.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-update-existing-issues-using-the-CSV-importer-for-JIRA/qaq-p/22870

Thanks Community Leader!

Dario Atlassian Team Sep 19, 2019

@Sarah Wood ,

Please notice that you are referring to a thread from 2014. Updating issues from CSV without creating new ones is actually possible in Cloud as you can read in the last status update on the below Feature Request:

Only, this may not work for Next-Gen projects due to the below bug (or similar):

Now, I know the thread is quite old. However, can you kindly let me know if this is still needed so that, in case, I can test if it is working like for Classic projects?

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar Community Leader Jun 04, 2019

Sorry for my short answer. It was not intended to sound rude. Answerring from the phone just trying to be helpful.

Kind regards

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

365 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you