Is there a way to change the "Resolution Date" in Jira?

Sometimes an issue isn't resolved in the moment of the pressure of the "Resolve Issue" button, but it could be a user resolves an issue in the day T and he presses the "Resolve Issue" button after 2 days. The Resolution Date showed is T+2, but I'd like to register T.

Is there a way to obtain T or must I create a custom field?

Thank You

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

No, the resolution date really is "the last time the resolution was set", it's not actually physical data, it's derived from the time the resolution changed.

As you suggest, you'll need a custom field.

Do you know of any ways to do this via scriptrunner?

In JIRA Cloud it is possible to update the resolution date by doing a CSV import.

Just export a CSV of the issues you need to update. Add a "resolved date" column, populate dates, then import into JIRA as Admin via External System Import.

Make sure to set the date formatting to match in CSV and import tool. Also include the issue-ID and summary in tour CSV. If the issues are also missing a "resolution" you will also need to update the "resolution" in the same import, otherwise the "resolved date" will not change.

Thanks Paul! Your example has just helped me change resolved dates in the cloud! It is like a magic )

Thanks for this, I may try it out.  I had on premises self-hosted at my last customer, but we're using Cloud here.  Yay!!  Really, thank you @Paul Iverson !!

It looks like it is Issue Key (as opposed to Issue ID), that needs to be used to map. When you do so in the wizard a message appears at the top saying "You have selected Issue Key mapping. Please note that importer will update existing issues matching the Issue Key from the CSV file."

The problem is: it does not work for "Date Resolved" for me...

@Francois Toubol CSV file shuld contain four columns: they are Issue Key, Summary, Resolution and Date Resolved.

You should map Issue Key, must map Summary, and then choice the Resolution and the Date Resolved opposite other fields. Also you should type correct Date format on the previous step.

If you were running the self-hosted version, and you had reliable backups, and you took the service offline first, you could edit the SQL in the underlying database, in which case it's the jiraissue.RESOLUTIONDATE field, but for OnDemand you're probably on your own.

Very sad to find this out. We've had tickets on Cloud that accidentally don't get marked resolved and there is not even an admin-only way to fix them to show when they were actually resolved?! Wow. Embarrassingly bad design folks.

Er, you're expected to not badly design your workflow, not botch fixes in later.

Wow ... that is a very unhelpful response. 

Thats like saying that you’re expected to never make a mistake.

Like 1 person likes this
0 votes

Thanks a lot everybody, I have verified that it is indeed possible to modify the "Resolved" field with CSV import and I have updated the below bug ticket for Jira Cloud:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-65502

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

Implementing Jira in Small Business

Introduction This article will give insight on how a small software development department implemented Atlassian products to enhance and streamline the business process. The privately held company h...

311 views 2 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you