JIRA Service Desk Approval Email Not Sending

I started using the newer feature allowing for approvals through the portal and it seems that it doesn't send an email to the approver if they are also a request participant. How can I fix this? What other limitations does this feature have?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Cole,

Sorry to hear you are having this problem.  However I couldn't find any specific documented support cases that indicate having the same users in the request participant field and approver field would cause this notification to fail.

But it got me thinking more about what else might prevent that user from getting a notification that they have been added as an approver.   After some digging, I came across the Service Desk documentation on user differences.   Basically there are two different notification schemes in Service Desk, one for customers (which the approvers fall into that group) and another for Agents and Administrators.

The Agent/Admins get notified when an issue they are assigned to, reported, or watching is updated.  The possible exception here is when their profile in Jira is setup to NOT send notifications of changes that they make themselves.  So that is one possible way you wouldn't get a notification.

But with customers in Service Desk, they actually have to opt-in to receive notifications.

Approvers receive service desk notifications when a request transitions to a stage where their approval is needed. They must opt in to notifications to see other activity on the request.

So the act of adding an approver, isn't necessarily enough to send out a notification to that approver just yet.  But when the issue transitions to a stage that requires approval, then Service Desk should send out a notification to all the users in the approver field of that issue at that time.

There are scenarios where that user is not opted in to receive notifications on that issue yet, and in turn they don't know about this issue.  Additionally, there is another scenario where the user being added as an approver is actually a Service Desk Agent/Admin.  In which case they are actually expected to be treated as a customer role in that case. There was a bug created for this scenario in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4167

Ultimately, it was determined that this specific functionality is expected in the cases demonstrated there.  But in turn there is an existing feature request created to improve this experience in Service Desk, I would recommend https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4207 for more details.   I'm not sure if your situation follows those other cases yet or not.

To better understand your situation, could you let me know

• the roles this approver exists in this service desk project (Agent, customer, both?)
  • The user account that added this user as an approver, which roles does this user have? Is the user making the change to approver the same user as the approver?
  • Is the issue actually in a state that requires approval?

Hi Andrew.

I have similar issue when approver don't get the notification, but in my case there is no notification for any kind of user who set as an approver (customer, agent, jira user). It seems that some settings are broken or something, but I don't know what. In the workflow and notification scheme all setting are default.

Regards,

Vassili

Hi Vassili,

Is this a Jira Cloud instance?  If so, it might be best to create a support request for this problem over in https://getsupport.atlassian.com

If this is a Jira Server instance, you can still create a support request there, provided that you are a named contact on a non-starter license, but our support team will likely need to gather more information from your system such as a support zip.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 14 hours ago in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

41 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you