JIRA Project Customization

Rob_Monroe June 29, 2017

I have 2 questions related to allowing users the ability to customize their personal JIRA Projects, and my environment is currently setup to where every project team only has access to the projects that they have been granted access to.  So far everything i have tried for allowing project admins the ability to customize their specific projects ends up giving them the ability to see everyones project and or allows them to only customize at the system level which obviously impacts all users.

1. Is there a way to allow project admins the ability to customize JIRA Issue types, workflows, fields, etc. for only their specific project?  I've seen plugins for allowing project admins the ability to customize fields for their project level instead of issue level, but we want them to be able to customize everything at their project level, not just fields.
  2. if #1 above can't be accomplished, is there a way to set up a portfolio of projects where the portfolio manager can customize everything for the multiple projects that are bing managed?
    • Portfolio 1 (Project1, Project2...Project n)
    • Portfolio 2(Project 1, Project2...Project n)
    • where Portfolio Admin can customize everything for only its subset of projects, and can only view his/her projects and nothing from Portfolio 2 or impact Portfolio 2 with the customizations applied to Portfolio 1.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

1.  No. Not yet.

Atlassian are moving that way (after 12 years of us whinging about it), with 7.3 introducing some limited workflow changes for project admins, and 7.4 some stuff with screens as well.

2.  That's another layer, and it's not going to happen.  The admin rights are going to stay at the project level, as that's not what Portfolio is for.

You can expect more delegated admin to arrive, and fields are definitely on the list to allow more project admin access to.

(As an aside, I stand to gain by these changes - they're already generating more interest in "my project admins messed up my JIRA, please help" type work, and that's just on the minimal workflow changes...)

Rob_Monroe June 29, 2017

Thanks Nic, any feedback on when we can expect to have these capabilities or what version will potentially release this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2017

There's no public roadmap for these changes.  There's some in JIRA 7.3 and 7.4 as I said, and I'd expect some more over the next few releases.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2017

Always a good one if it's got Wittified on it.  I was only talking about core product.

Suggest an answer