Issue Link 'blocks' in Jira

Hari Prasath P July 19, 2018

I have created two issues(Issue 1, Issue 2) each contained in a separate sprint. Now, I link them using 'blocks' from Issue 1 to Issue 2, it means the Issue 1 should be completed before Issue 2. I have few questions over here,

1. Whether this link blocks Issue 2, not to get completed before Issue 1?
  2. Does the Start and End date of Issue 2 changes when linked?

So, I cannot figure out how the issue link 'blocks' works. What this issue link 'blocks' does actually?

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2018

A link in Jira is just a link.  It shows a relationship between two issues, and nothing more.

"Issue A is blocked by Issue B" is useful information for us humans, but all Jira knows is "A <words> B".  You could rename it to "Issue A eats fish provides by penguins assigned to Issue B" and it would make no difference.

So the answers to 1 and 2 are both "no" because there's no way Jira can know you want to do that.  "blocks" is just the name for that type of link.

But, you can hang code off it if you want.  It's very common to see both of your questions implemented with post-functions, validators, or functions in apps like ScriptRunner, PowerScripts, Automation etc.

manjushree zope November 2, 2019

Can you please explain specific scenario and usage of the link options...

Like # people like this
2 votes
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2018

Hi @Hari Prasath P,

Although it is called "blocks", it functionally doesn't block other issue. Blocks, relates, duplicates etc all link types behave same. It is just to understand the relation type between issues.

BUT, you can create your own rules in workflow transitions for instance; Do not resolve an issue if it has any unresolved linked issue with ... type. 

2 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

Hi @Hari Prasath P,

the issue link "blocks" on its own is not really blocking anything. It's just a link between two issues which is named "blocks". 

However, there are add-ons which provide conditions, validators and post-functions for your workflow, so you can e.g. disable a transition as long as there is a blocking linked issue.

Abdelrhman Ahmed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 7, 2024

How to do that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You will need to find and install apps that provide the functions you need.

2 votes
Deleted user July 19, 2018

Hi @Hari Prasath P,

The linked issues field is a method of tagging issues that may have dependencies.

Jira does not stop you from working on an issue even if their link have dependencies, this is due to multiple reasons however the most prominent is that an issue could be started but not finished due to a dependency. 

What do you mean by Start Date? Is there a particular field that you are referencing?

Linking issue is more prominent in Portfolio for Jira as it utilises linking as a core feature to map out plans. 

Hope this helps

1 vote
Brandon Kain July 17, 2020

How to use the Linked Issue Trigger in Automation for Jira

Read this link and use Automation for Jira. You can easily create rules and specify actions / restriction on the "is blocked by" Issue or the "blocks" issue.

Abdelrhman Ahmed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 7, 2024

The link isn't working

Suggest an answer