How to set default issue link type? Edited

Hi!

Is there any way to set the default issue link type, when I create a linked issue? I wanted to use the "relates to" link type by default, but don't want to delete the others.

Or how can I sort the existed issue link types (if it is possible)?

Thanks!

2 answers

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-I-change-the-default-link-type-from-quot-Cloned-to-quot-to/qaq-p/443313 suggests that the default link type is the one with the first name alphabetically. But I'm seeing other results in my JIRA instances. The issue in jac is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-31425 but is Closed, Won't FIx.

Update: it remembers your last choice

Brant Schroeder Community Champion Oct 18, 2017

The * applied to the Name works since the link name is alphabetically ordered.  What you see in the link dropdown will be based on the order of the link name and not alphabetically ordered because it uses the outward and inward descriptions.

Perhaps that's true when you first add a link. After that I think JIRA remembers your last choice?

Thank you for the answers!

I think I found a solution, at least it's working for me. The method is the following:

1. Check, what is the default issue link type now.

2. Go to Issue linking settings, and search for the currently default link type.

3. Edit this, rename the Outward Description of the issue link type by typing a * before its description (for example: *causes)

4. Check again the default issue link type. Is it now what you want? If yes, it's done. If not, then start it again from step 2. (maybe you need to rename the Inward Description too, if the default issue link type is became one of them)

I tested it on 3 different instances and worked, so I hope this is a valid solution. :)

0 votes
Brant Schroeder Community Champion Oct 18, 2017

Issue links are ordered alphabetically based on the link name.  If you have a link type that you would like to place at the top of the list place a * in front of the link name.  This will place it at the top making the first or default in the list.  The Outward Description and Inward Description can be whatever you would like it to be.

I tried this earlier, but didn't worked for me. :(

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,700 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you