How to set default assignee for Project in new UI for JIRA Cloud?

langkilde April 9, 2019

I haven't used JIRA since the latest UI update. There used to be a way to set the default assignee for a project, but I can't seem to find it any more. I'm using the cloud version hosted by Atlassian.

What have I tried?

- I have enabled "Unassigned Tasks" per this post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-change-the-default-assignee-from-Project-Lead-to/qaq-p/89964

- According to this post it's maybe impossible? https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-edit-default-assignee-for-a-project-in-Jira-Cloud/qaq-p/885717

If this is not possible, how do you I create a notification scheme ensuring the Project administrator is made aware of new issues being created?

5 answers

3 votes
Pol van Rijn July 16, 2020

I also had this issue with the current version of Jira (cloud). I was able to set the default assignee in my Next-Gen project.

1. Install the application:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222170/classic-settings-for-next-gen-projects

2. Go to your project

3. Go to project settings

4. Click on 'Apps' (left sidebar)

5. Change default assignee to Project lead

Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 10.02.54.pngHope this helps!

3 votes
Addown Support April 21, 2020

Hi @langkilde,

A year has passed since you asked, but this is still an issue (see JSWCLOUD-17323 and JSWCLOUD-17498), so maybe this answer will help others too. Anyway, I hope you haven't given up on next-gen projects yet, because I've got a solution that will work exactly like you expect it to...

You can use our new free app called Classic Settings for Next-Gen projects.

Reading your responses above, I believe it will be a great fit, as the app offers the same experience we are all used to. Feel free to check our reviews or search the community for mentions of the app, if you are not sure.

I hope this helps!

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2019

Hello @langkilde 

If you create a Jira project ( a classic project) and not the next-gen then you can set the default assignee using the old component technique.

Basically create a project component and make the component lead as the default assignee so when you create a new issue with this component then the component lead will become the default assignee. I just tested it and it's working fine in cloud.

image.png

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2019

So when I am creating new issue with the above component then I am the default assignee as I am the component lead.

langkilde April 9, 2019

I have a next-gen project.

0 votes
Mike Shipley September 2, 2021

Is there a way to set it to default to this when creating any new project in the first place?

Mike Shipley September 2, 2021

My apologies I meant this to be a follow up question not an answer. I don't know whether to feel seen or called out :-D

CleanShot 2021-09-02 at 12.20.40@2x.png

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2019

Hello,

You have a next-gen project, then you can set up a rule in the board for the project:

Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 04.47.41.png

langkilde April 9, 2019

This is in the right direction, problem is I can only apply rules for issues on the Board (Todo, In Progress, Done) and not "On create"

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer