Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to search for issues that currently have a blocker comment

I am trying to create a filter that shows all issues that have a blocker comment. When I search for `"Blocker Comment[Paragraph]" is not empty` I get issues that have a blocker comment (good), but I also get issues that used to have a blocker comment (bad). So if I add a blocker comment to an issue, then clear the blocker comment out, the filter will still surface that issue.

How do I create a filter that only returns issues that currently have a blocker comment?

4 answers

Hi @Gabriel Deal 

If you are searching for issues with a blocker comment, you can try to create such a filter in  Dynamic Filters: JQL Replacer addon. It is developed by my SaaSJet team to simplify database queries. All you need is to choose the required data with the help of a visual manager:

2021-03-26_10-50-51.png

As a result, you get comments that show issues only with the content you need.

Hope you find this helpful.

Regards

Hi @Gabriel Deal  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you do not want to purchase an add-on to solve this, you could do the following:

• Ask your site admin to add a custom field for LastComment
  • Add an automation rule to your project which saves the LastComment
  • Now you may write a JQL search against that new field, LastComment

If you are interested in trying this, here are some sources to get you started.  And if you have follow-up questions, the community can help answer them.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/label/all/1453

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Jira-Automation-all-the-resources-you-need-in-one-page/ba-p/1388465

Best regards,

Bill

Hey @Gabriel Deal ,

once you clear your field (completely), it shouldn't be returned by that search you've mentioned anymore.

Could you please provide additional information regarding the custom field type? Is this a classic or a next-gen project? 

Cheers
Thorsten

It is a classic project. Our "blocker comment" custom field is a text field (multi-line) that uses the "Free Text Searcher" search template. (I am new to Jira, so I did not know any of that until your question prompted me to figure it out.)

Hey @Gabriel Deal ,

I'm with @Daniel Ebers here - most likely the field is actually not empty? Is the field still visible on an affected issue? If a custom field is empty, it's no longer shown in the issue view.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Apr 05, 2021

Hi @Gabriel Deal

is there any chance the field was not actually cleared out completely but rather there is some kind of space in it?

You could try to export them from Issue Navigator and look in the export's file (common is a CSV file) if there are any suspicious characters or anything else that is not obvious right now.

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you