• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira Automation - all the resources you need in one page

Hi all, 

This page is meant as a one stop shop housing all resources for Jira Cloud automation. 

What is Jira automation?

If you didn't know this existed, you are in for a treat. Jira automation is a no-code automation engine available to every single Jira Cloud instance across all Jira products (There is also an app for Server folk). It allows you to automate endless tasks and processes, even across third party tools like Slack and GitHub. 

Jira automation - Triggers (3).png

Automation resources

While this is a new community space, Jira automation is not a new feature. There are tons of existing resources to help guide you as you start your automation journey. (It used to be an app called Automation for Jira by Code Barrel so don't be confused if you see this when looking through older posts).

Beginners:

Intermediate - Advanced 

Use cases

DevOps (BitBucket, GitHub, Gitlab)

Understanding limits 

There are already ~1500 automation questions and answers on the community so have a search. If you don't find what you are looking for, post a question yourself! 

Happy automating! 

8 comments

F I N A L M E N T E ! For a while I feared that this excellent app would end up "digested" in Atlassian's stomach and in fact not only me but many users of this app since it was still a Code Barrel app thought it would be very difficult to find or exchange information. Well done. Good job, a section specifically dedicated to Automation for Jira is what we were looking for.

Like Tiziana Marchionni likes this

Fear not @Kalos Bonasia !

We still have the same team (and growing) working on new features and improvements and we are still very keen on keeping in direct contact with all of our customers who use automation.

We will be filling out this space plus lots more in the coming months :)

Cheers,

John 

Hi @John McKiernan 

In addition to the new automation template library, what do you think of having a smart value and function glossary on one page with expandable sections, similar to what is available for the REST API?  There could be separate pages for Jira Cloud versus Jira Service Desk (or one indicating which product supports a smart value).

This would improve finding information about available fields and syntax.  Today, I use browser searches across the documentation, community forum, developer forum, and public backlog of issues to find what is (and is not) supported.

Thanks and best regards,

Bill

Hey @Bill Sheboy ,

Yep you are spot again. I agree, this would be really useful. We know it could be easier to get this full list of smart values in particular. The content team are working on a few things but I'll pass this on to them and also see if we can link it up to the Playground. 

Thanks for the feedback! 

John

Like # people like this

I FOUND IT....

What happened to the automation playground? Loved that thing. Accidentally changed some stuff that i didn't mean too, but LOVED THAT THING! And, how can we ask the creators or super users questions? It's like hot sauce in my project that services 5000 people and not for bug tracking... production management!

Like John McKiernan likes this

Hi @Kelley Mills 

The playground is still there; the new template library appears to wrap it to make rules visible by the business problem they solve.  You can always select Return to List to get back to the playground view.

__Bill

Hey @Kelley Mills ,

Bill is spot on. The playground still exists but has moved to a bigger home! 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/labels/all/customLabelId/1453

You can find all of the same rules (and then another 100 or so more). We will be adding to these rules over time, including more for power users :)

Cheers,

John 

Hi, community!

What do people think of having a list of possible error messages (and likely causes) that may occur during creation, management, and running of rules?  A fault diagnostic tree may be overkill, but a list of errors/causes would easily improve people's ability to solve their own challenges.

As this is a modern and well-crafted product, it is likely those errors could be quickly mined from one resource location, rather than hard-coded all over the place.  And, the list could be dynamically updated with code releases.

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Like catherine_lee likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Automation

Announcing the Jira automation template library!

Hi all,  After many months of work, I am delighted to announce the launch of the Jira Automation Template Library!  The Template Library is a new website dedicated to all things Jira au...

768 views 17 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you