How to get to the XML view of a filter

Mihai Mihai September 20, 2019

Hello,

I saw this "XML" view of a filter mentioned on several occasions (to give some examples: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Issue-when-anonymously-accessing-the-XML-view-of-a-filter/qaq-p/555541,  or https://www.atlassian.com/company/events/summit-europe/watch-sessions/2017/scale-extend/the-four-principles-of-atlassian-performance-tuning) , but I do not know where that can be seen.

Please let me know where can we get the XML view of a filter in JIRA.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2019

Hello @Mihai Mihai

Thank you for reaching out.

To see the XML version of a JIRA JQL filter, you just need to navigate to the existing filter click in Export > Export XML:

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 19.11.09.png

A new file will be opened in your browser tab, containing the filter parameters and the returned issues in XML format:

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 19.13.01.png

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Mihai Mihai September 23, 2019

Hello @Petter Gonçalves 

Yes, this is it. Thank you.

Do you know if this can be restricted? 

I tried: 

jira.export.xml.enabled=false

in the jira-config.properties file, but it did not disable the feature.

Thank you.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2019

You are welcome, @Mihai Mihai

I believe it is not possible to restrict the XML export as you need, however, you can restrict the access to the issue itself, so the users would not be able to download it.

Can you let us know why you would like to restrict this feature?

Mihai Mihai September 24, 2019

Hello,

We are not sure if we want to actually disable it or not. Although we did not have problems until now, I understand that adding such a view in a Confluence page can be resource consuming if the filter contains many issues. 

I was just testing out to see what are my options if that happens.

Thank you.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
September 25, 2019

Hello Mihai,

Thank you for your answer.

We clearly understand your concern about large amounts of information added to Confluence pages. In fact, we have a feature request to limit/control the available size per page in Confluence:

Control the allocation of server resources to a space

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, we can only suggest you let your users know that is not a good practice add big amounts of information to a single page.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help with. :)

Suggest an answer