How to export or backup a single project

How can I backup or export the data of a single project with the purpose to move the project data (and only this data) to another Jira database?

I've found how to export the entire system.

Thank you in advance.

Klaus

4 answers

1 accepted

19 votes

You've almost answered your own question. You take the entire export, give it to the target Jira and then use "project import" - it will read the whole import file and pull out the project you select.

Thank you for your valuable answer.

Where is this 'project import' option? I've looked in Administration→Projects and Administration→System but don't see it anywhere. Administration→System→Restore says 'Please note that this process will delete all existing JIRA data in your site', which is definitely not what I want.

(Sorry for the bad formatting. For some reason, when I formatted my reply properly, this website thought it was offensive or spammy. 😕)

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jun 21, 2017

Hi Mik,

you find this function in

Administration->System->Project import

This is the direct URL:

http://<your jira URL>/secure/admin/ProjectImportSelectBackup!default.jspa

Like I said, I looked in Administration→System, and there is no 'Project Import' option there. The URL you gave me 404ed.

But we've managed to do what we need by exporting a CSV and doing a lot of hacking. The result is messy, but not worth spending more time on.

Thanks.

@Mik Scheper
"Administration > System > Project import" is available only in JIRA Server. You are probably using JIRA Cloud which does't have this option.

And how to export the instance?

Maybe you can find some info here.

However, you have to be sure that the info to be restored comes from the same JIRA version otherwise you will have to upgrade old jira.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

I get a 403 Forbidden
nginx

When I try to look at that page (and a few others in this Forum)

There's a lot of reports of broken pages today, I think Atlassian are re-organising docs and breaking stuff, people are raising reports about it, so hopefully they'll be fixed soon.   Try again later.

Looks promising, but I wasn't able to install this to my cloud instance. 'Project Configurator for JIRA' doesn't appear when I search for it under 'Add-ons', and when I go to Manage Add-ons→Upload add-on, it expects a URL, not the trial I downloaded.

Do you know if this free trial will actually let me do what I want, migrate a single project, including all its issues, from one JIRA instance to another?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,878 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot