Export or back-up a single project

Has anyone figured out a simple solution for exporting a single JIRA project? This documentation indicates that I would have to spin up a new instance of JIRA, import a back up, delete the unwanted projects, and then make a new back up.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

6 answers

But none of those have an answer other than

"Take a complete backup and import from that a single project"

This is no scalable solution sad

3 years later and there still no answer for this.

Hi Lee,

I'm not sure if you have been able to come up with a solution to your question, but Onna (http://onna.com) integrates with JIRA.  You can index, process, and export data from a single project into a csv or dat file with its eDiscovery app.  Hope this helps! 

Hi all,

Because we have solved this problem many times with our customers in past, we have a pretty simple solution. While the recommended Atlassian procedure is safe and verifiable, however, if you have several hundred projects in the JIRA, this solution is not effective.

Unfortunately, Atlassian JIRA even today does not allow to export / import only one single project. However, you can help with plugin eg. "Configuration manager for JIRA" since version 5.x. I assume you need to import one particular project in another JIRA (for example, in a JIRA test).

The steps are as follows

1. You install the "Configuration manager for JIRA" plug-ins on both JIRAs (to simplify - CMJ)
  2. In JIRA A, you will use the CMJ plugin to snapshot the project setup - as instructed at Snapshot Management
    (A snapshot of the project configuration is created + all issue data)
  3. in JIRA A you download this snapshots file to a local PC
  4. In JIRA B using the CMJ plug-in, Deploy snapshot (import file) - as instructed at Snapshot Deployement
  5. Done

I hope I've helped you

Best Regards
Pavel Junek
MoroSystems Support

For my own (rather specific) use-case, I wrote this script:

github.com/sgreben/jira-project-export

It uses the JIRA API to export a project's issues and metadata as JSON.

You could probably also write an importer the same way (I didn't need that though).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,944 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot