It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Export or back-up a single project

Has anyone figured out a simple solution for exporting a single JIRA project? This documentation indicates that I would have to spin up a new instance of JIRA, import a back up, delete the unwanted projects, and then make a new back up.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

10 answers

3 years later and there still no answer for this.

But none of those have an answer other than

"Take a complete backup and import from that a single project"

This is no scalable solution sad

Hi all,

Because we have solved this problem many times with our customers in past, we have a pretty simple solution. While the recommended Atlassian procedure is safe and verifiable, however, if you have several hundred projects in the JIRA, this solution is not effective.

Unfortunately, Atlassian JIRA even today does not allow to export / import only one single project. However, you can help with plugin eg. "Configuration manager for JIRA" since version 5.x. I assume you need to import one particular project in another JIRA (for example, in a JIRA test).

The steps are as follows

1. You install the "Configuration manager for JIRA" plug-ins on both JIRAs (to simplify - CMJ)
  2. In JIRA A, you will use the CMJ plugin to snapshot the project setup - as instructed at Snapshot Management
    (A snapshot of the project configuration is created + all issue data)
  3. in JIRA A you download this snapshots file to a local PC
  4. In JIRA B using the CMJ plug-in, Deploy snapshot (import file) - as instructed at Snapshot Deployement
  5. Done

I hope I've helped you

Best Regards
Pavel Junek
MoroSystems Support

Thank you for this solution but it only works for JIRA server. For cloud users this is not available as of now (reviewing the website of the product).

Armin

Like # people like this

Still no options available. This is a feature that would make it easier for you to migrate to another service, which is why it will never be implemented.

Hi Lee,

I'm not sure if you have been able to come up with a solution to your question, but Onna (http://onna.com) integrates with JIRA.  You can index, process, and export data from a single project into a csv or dat file with its eDiscovery app.  Hope this helps! 

For my own (rather specific) use-case, I wrote this script:

github.com/sgreben/jira-project-export

It uses the JIRA API to export a project's issues and metadata as JSON.

You could probably also write an importer the same way (I didn't need that though).

Thanks, giving this a try

Jira indicates you can import JSON files, although I have not been able to make it work.

Maybe others have had success?

Hi,

Is there a solution for JIRA Cloud available? Or would I need to perform my own engineering magic to create a solution? 

I check the above proposals but none are feasible (Configuration manager only works for server).

Hi Armin,

Check out this guide on how to collect and export from JIRA (cloud) with Onna: https://intercom.help/onna/current-integrations/web-integrations/how-to-collect-from-jira 

Hope this helps! 

Mayda

Hi Mayda,

thank you for the quick response. I have reviewed the initial export description but it does not include the Project contents including JIRA security setups which I would require to export as well.

The project itself has no default workflow, the workflows from JIRA itself require exporting as well, are these covered?

Does Onna cover these open ends as well and then for JIRA cloud?

Please confirm.

Kind Regards,
Armin

Hi Armin,

Onna integrates with the JIRA Software Cloud REST API and collects the metadata available from that API. We support exports as well. Please feel free to email me at mayda@onna.com if you have any further questions.

0 votes

Hi Everyone,

All the issues in a single project can be exported in the formats below.Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 6.02.45 PM.png

Go to the project>>search for issues>> Advance search>> search with the project name >> Click on Export and select the desired format.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Anil

But you will not get Metadata around the project like Workflows, Custom Fields, etc.

As mentioned before, Config Manager from Botron or Project Configurator from Adaptavist can help here.

Yes, Metadata cannot be exported. The above method is to have a backup/to import all the issues in a project to a new JIRA instance using a csv.

What about using "Project Configurator for Jira" ? It supports export and import.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

888 views 7 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you