How do I merge (not linked) two issues in Jira Service Desk?

When receiving email in JIRA Service Desk we often get different mails belonging to the same incident.  We can of course link the tickets but we (and the customer) loose the history in the "main" ticket.  As a workaround, we copy the information to the main ticket and delete the new ticket afterwards.   Is it possible to merge two tickets?  

1 answer

0 vote

Hi Steen,

"Merging" tickets is not really possible.

The usual way of solving this would be to decide which ticket will be your main ticket, link the other ones to it (with a link type duplicates), close the duplicate tickets and maybe indicate 'Duplicate' as a resolution.

If you are talking JIRA Service Desk, this will introduce a visibility issue for the customer who has created one of the duplicate tickets. So you may want to reference the reporters of those duplicate to the main ticket, where they should be added as a request participant in order to see the ticket.

It is very "sad" that we have to do all that work to merge two tickets when that is a handicap of the platform.

At least, should exist an option to add all reporters as watchers in the "main" ticket automatically. 

In my case, if two different people respond to the same email, Service Desk open two tickets and we have to "ignore" one of the emails, or just have two parallel tracks (not an option).

Thank you for your reply Walter.

I share similar frustrations and concerns.   But, you can find a plugin-in from the marketplace that will merge tickets (go figure).   In our organization, I have identified a few "basic features" that are entirely missing from the base product which I feel should be there, including a ticket merge feature.    These minor missing features serve to enhance the Atlassian Marketplace, but really sells customers short in the sense of having to purchase yet more software for basic functionality that we would find in competing products.

Hi Forrest - what's the name of the plugin you mentioned that allows for a merge function for tickets?

Thanks in advance!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,307 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot