It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I merge (not linked) two issues in Jira Service Desk?

Steen Bonde Nov 11, 2016

When receiving email in JIRA Service Desk we often get different mails belonging to the same incident.  We can of course link the tickets but we (and the customer) loose the history in the "main" ticket.  As a workaround, we copy the information to the main ticket and delete the new ticket afterwards.   Is it possible to merge two tickets?  

5 answers

12 votes
Dave Sheehan Oct 12, 2018

This is still a glaring omission.   Please consider ticket merge feature for next release.

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout [ACA IT] Community Leader Nov 11, 2016

Hi Steen,

"Merging" tickets is not really possible.

The usual way of solving this would be to decide which ticket will be your main ticket, link the other ones to it (with a link type duplicates), close the duplicate tickets and maybe indicate 'Duplicate' as a resolution.

If you are talking JIRA Service Desk, this will introduce a visibility issue for the customer who has created one of the duplicate tickets. So you may want to reference the reporters of those duplicate to the main ticket, where they should be added as a request participant in order to see the ticket.

Pedro Cabrita Oct 13, 2017

It is very "sad" that we have to do all that work to merge two tickets when that is a handicap of the platform.

At least, should exist an option to add all reporters as watchers in the "main" ticket automatically. 

In my case, if two different people respond to the same email, Service Desk open two tickets and we have to "ignore" one of the emails, or just have two parallel tracks (not an option).

Thank you for your reply Walter.

Like # people like this
Forrest Aldrich Oct 28, 2017

I share similar frustrations and concerns.   But, you can find a plugin-in from the marketplace that will merge tickets (go figure).   In our organization, I have identified a few "basic features" that are entirely missing from the base product which I feel should be there, including a ticket merge feature.    These minor missing features serve to enhance the Atlassian Marketplace, but really sells customers short in the sense of having to purchase yet more software for basic functionality that we would find in competing products.

Like # people like this
Jeff Castle Jan 17, 2018

Hi Forrest - what's the name of the plugin you mentioned that allows for a merge function for tickets?

Thanks in advance!

Like Matthew Gaffney likes this
Terry Mundy May 21, 2018

Can't merge?  REALLY? Spiceworks had this capability in 2007 and it was free help desk software.

Like Matthew Gaffney likes this
Matt Talaga Jul 05, 2018 • edited

I agree.  We are looking to use Jira Service Desk, but I'm questioning it right now as it looks like I can't merge tickets, which is huge for us.

And we are using the Cloud version, so that marketplace solution does not work for us.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Mike Stratulat Oct 29, 2018

We switched over from Teamwork Desk (for some reason) but starting to regret the decision. I could not possibly imagine why this feature is not included, other than to bolster 3rd party app sales.

Bring this feature to Jira cloud or we're going back to Teamwork Desk. Seems this feature is integral for others too.

David Willson Jan 18, 2019

Given Jira's origin it's not surprising. In my ops world we like to merge tickets, but from the developer world of jira you don't get 50 tickets for the same issue. 

The question becomes WHY do you get so many duplicates. There is a strong argument for not having Nagios or other automated systems make tickets. Why create that problem willingly. As log as your on call is alerted they can put in a nice clean ticket that has nicely formatted details and a clean clear description. (nobody reads the massive merged tickets anyway generally speaking merging is just a coping mechanism)

If the outage is because phones are down and all users are sending in tickets, that's super annoying to have to link and close.

Remember to be careful just adding plugins for all things, plugins come with a tax - you need to update them, they need to be compatible with jira and all other plugins potentially, and you get support from the plugin vendor. I always caution careful consideration of adding them.

0 votes
Raj Vora Feb 07, 2019

Hi!  As a workaround to not having a merge capability, is it possible to make one of the issues read-only. 

For example, let's say I have two duplicate issues: A and B.

I manually migrate all the information from B to A.  I then add a comment in Issue B directing users to add information about this problem in Issue A from now on.  I can even add a link indicating the Issue B is a duplicate of Issue A.  Then make Issue B read-only.

I am aware that there is a way to make an issue read-only based on transition conditions in a customized work flow:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Making-a-closed-issue-read-only/qaq-p/365063

But I am looking for a way to do this for a particular issue.  Thanks.

0 votes
Marlene Kegel [codefortynine] Feb 25, 2019 • edited

A few months ago we released Merge Agent for Jira and Jira Service Desk cloud.

With our app you can easily merge descriptions, comments and further content into other issues.  It's also possible to merge several tickets at once. 

Since the focus of Merge Agent for Jira is especially on Jira Service Desk I'm sure it can help to solve your problem.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any feedback. 

Emiliano Schreiner May 17, 2019

More money? nooooo

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Try Jira Cloud for Outlook: Organize your work without leaving your inbox

Hi Atlassian community, My name is Max and I work on the product integration team at Atlassian. I am pleased to announce the early access program for the Jira Cloud add-in for Outlook. This add-in...

2,380 views 6 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you