How do I get the Link Type direction name into a custom field?

Stephen Crandell July 9, 2015

I am trying to set up a custom field that stores the direction NAME of the link type. I am using a Groovy Scripted field since I don't see a custom field out there that does this. Basically I want a custom field to display the name of the direction of its link to another issue.

Example

Records: JIRA-1, JIRA-2 where JIRA-2 is a duplicate of JIRA-1

Link type: Duplicate (inward = "is duplicated by", Outward = "duplicates")

Custom Field: Link Type

JIRA-1 Link Type = "is duplicated by"

JIRA-2 Link Type = "duplicates"

5 answers

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2015

Stephen, we started working on this feature request but we don't have a solution yet. There isn't a field/column shows the link type that we can simply show. Fabricating a new column on the fly which was our plan, turned out to be too slow and not a good solution. As we come up with some ideas we will keep you posted.
You can watch the issue we use to track this similar request: https://botronsoft.atlassian.net/browse/ILV-17

0 votes
Stephen Crandell July 13, 2015

I am using the Issue Matrix plugin in Custom JQL mode to return Issue Links sorted by issue type. One thing that was not noticed originally was that the inward and outward link type (duplicates, is duplicated by, ect.) is not displayed in the way it renders the Issue Matrix field. I have submitted a couple of requests with Botron (Issue Matrix designer). As a work around in the mean time I was trying to think of a way to get the link type to display as a scripted custom field since custom fields are what is returned. Hope this makes sense and I don't think it is possible because each issue can have multiple links, but any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2015

I can''t really solve that because it depends what you are after. Maybe you could give some more context about why you want this and what you're trying to achieve.

0 votes
Stephen Crandell July 9, 2015

yeah, that is the bigger problem. I basically need what is displayed in the first column of the the Issue Links section. Any ideas would be great! Thanks for the quick response.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2015

What if there are multiple links, some inbound, some outbound?

Suggest an answer