How do I completely delete project with all related entries?

FastRezult January 9, 2017

I'm trying JIRA Service Desk cloud. I have created, used, then deleted many projects. Projects related entries still exist in various locations in Administration > Issues menu: ISSUE TYPES, WORKFLOWS, SCREENS, and FIELDS.

How do I completely delete project with all related entries?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2017

During my trial I had reason to erase all traces of some test projects. To do so you can contact Atlassian and they can do this for you. Another way, and I did this was to throw away my trial domain instance once I was done and simply start anew. That is the easiest way.

FastRezult January 11, 2017

Thanks so much for your answer.

By "throwing away my trial domain"; do you mean ti start a new trial with new account?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2017

Yes. I went thru a couple of trial instances for various reasons. When I decided to proceed w/ JSD I simply added it to my production JSW instance that I already had in place. I took this approach partially because of the very point you bring to light. I have made plenty of inefficient and innocent configuration 'mistakes' previously when I began to learn JIRA and cleaning up was painful and incomplete. I used the trials as learning opportunities.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2017

Manually, on Cloud, and you'll find there may be traces you can't remove.

Once you've deleted the projects, you'll need to go to each scheme section in admin and click delete for each inactive item you don't want.

FastRezult January 10, 2017

Thanks for your quick reply. Inefficient way and very time consuming. By the way, does JIRA server differs regarding this issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2017

It's not a system that expects you to set up and destroy loads of projects like that, it's expecting you to create the projects you need and work with them.  It's not so much that JIRA is inefficient, more that what you're doing is.

JIRA Server is no different, but it does have the advantage that you can add scripting or admin-helper add-ons that can make it easier by automating deletions.  There is now Script Runner for Cloud which may be able to help as well, but I've not worked with it much yet, so I don't know.

FastRezult January 11, 2017

Thanks again for your reply.

When I have mentioned "Inefficient", you may have noticed that it was followed by "way". So it's not JIRA. We are all in the same boat's software industry. All of us know how much efforts have been done to see JIRA like this. And anybody in the software industry know very well the complexity of adding, removing, or modifying a function in a software.

When we come to trial, and till I reach to a reasonable learning curve, it's expected doing some or many mistakes or unnecessary tasks. Results, traces, or side-effects of such tasks shall be removable or cleanable in order to start clean for live production. Otherwise, why then the delete function has been exist in almost all softwares.

Many thanks for telling me about the Script Runner function. I'm sure that it will benefit in many regards. I will try it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2017

Yes, that's why we have test systems.  We can do all the testing in there and clean it up by rebuilding.  "Do it in live" is something the industry has been trying to stamp out for years.

Mark Winston July 25, 2019

I agree that this is an inefficient design.  There should be a UI that makes it easy (i.e. less hunting and clicking) to delete all the stuff (workflows, issue types, etc.) that was automatically created when creating a project from a project template.  Regarding the comment that he is working inefficiently, I disagree. It is very reasonable for a user to create a new project from a template to see what the template looks like.  Then if the template doesn't fit their needs, they will need to delete everything that was brought in.  However, it is not easy at all to do that cleanup.  If you create a project from a template, to check out what it looks like, you then have to spend a lot of time cleaning up what was brought in.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2019

>There should be a UI that makes it easy

Yep, and I've even written code that simply deletes any "inactive" schemes if they have not been touched for 6 weeks

>Regarding the comment that he is working inefficiently, I disagree. It is very reasonable for a user to create a new project from a template to see what the template looks like.

You are absolutely right on part of that - people should create projects from templates to see what they get.  Where you fall down is "in production".   They should not be doing that in "live" systems.  If they want to test, they absolutely should, and I would love it if more people actually did!  But not in live.

As I said a couple of years ago: That's why we have test systems.  We can do all the testing in there and clean it up by rebuilding.  "Do it in live" is something the industry has been trying to stamp out for years.

Suggest an answer