How can you add a table in Jira screens for adding multiple rows of information?

I need to be able to add multiple lines of information in a table format (or similar) in Jira so when users are creating a case they can enter rows of information in rather than uploading an excel spreadsheet as an attachment. 

I would like the headers of each column to be custom fields  - i have tried using plug-in Table Grid Editor but this doesn't seem to give this functionality.

Also i need to be able to report on a dashboard view the information from the table.

Can anyone help? 

1 answer

0 vote

There is no way to do this with Jira.

In Jira, a custom field is a single entity.  It exists once for each issue, although some custom fields accept multiple entries.

As an example, imagine you have two fields:

• Colour:
    • Has a list of options: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet
    • Can only hold one value
  • Texture:
    • Has a list of options: Hard, Metallic, Soft, Wet, Dry, Smooth, Rough, Fluffy, Cold, Warm
    • Can only hold many of these values

You can see you can describe an issue as a single colour but with many textures, but you can only use each field once.  There are only two fields on the issue.  Custom fields each have to be added individually by an admin, not arbitrarily line-by-line.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

97 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you