How can I get the Story Points field to appear in issues?

leewarren April 16, 2021

I've not found precise guidance on how to make the Story Points appear when I define a new Epic or Issue. I've added Story Points via Project settings >> Issue layout >> Scrum Default Issue Screen but they don't appear in either new or old screens.

2 answers

1 vote
leewarren April 19, 2021

Now I've found that Story Points *are* viewable for stories, but not for tasks. I found the guidance here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Story-Points-field-disappear-from-our-issues-in-classic-projects/qaq-p/1202545

It seemed not quite current, in that it had the user clicking on the JIRA icon to get to settings, but anyhow, the rest went like this:

1. In the Fields section, click Custom Fields.
  2. Find the Story Points custom field and click  Configure > Edit Configuration
  3. Under Choose applicable issue types, flag the issue types you want the field to be applied:
0 votes
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

Hi There, 

Try navigating to your screen, then clicking on the hyperlink to configure. Then you should be able to select the field from the "select field" drop down. Let me know if this doesn't work for you, there are additional steps you can take for hidden fields. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.39.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.40.07 PM.png

leewarren April 17, 2021

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your help. Once I click Configure from within an issue:

Configure link in KIRA issue.png

I can't even figure out how to get to the screen you are mentioning. All I see is this below, with no idea of where to go next. You said "Then you should be able to select the field from the "select field" drop down." -- what dropdown?

image_2021-04-17_145816.png

Furthermore, I can SEE that story points are added to the issue, which I did earlier, but they are not visible in the dialog:

2021-04-17_15-01-19.png

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

Ok, so to take a step further, have you clicked on the hyperlink for the PRC: Scrum Default Issue Screen to edit that screen?  

Another method, which appears to be configuring the new issue screen, which to me it looks like you are using,  has an article that might be helpful: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-field-layout-in-the-issue-view/

leewarren April 20, 2021

I'm familiar with that method, but it ended being the applicable issue types that I needed to configure.  Thanks for your help.

Like elizabeth_jones likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events