Story Points field disappear from our issues in classic projects

Félix Réginent October 14, 2019

Hi everybody,

I've read a lot about Story Points in Jira but I didn't find a similar issue.. i'm kind of desperate and hope you can help.

We have Kanban and scrum in classic projects with estimated issues in Story Points. The "Story Points" displayed correctly in the detailed issue view until last week. Now, all the Story Point fields disappeared from all our "classic" projects.

It's particularly strange because when I refresh a page, I can see the field for a 1/2 secondes and then it disappears. When I check the issue layout I still can see the "Story Points" field.

Does anyone know what happened and how we could fix it ?

Thx

Issue layout - Jira DNP.png

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2019

Hello Félix,

Sorry to hear you are facing this problem.

The specific behavior you are describing usually happens when the context of the custom field is not being applied for that issue type or project - It causes the field to appear for a brief moment when the issue is getting loaded, but it disappears as soon as the context is applied.

Another thing that would reinforce this suspicious is that Story points context is applicable only for Stories and Epic by default, so other issue types like Tasks and bugs are not applicable, as you can see in this documentation:

By default, the 'Story Points' field is only available to issues of type 'story' or 'epic' (not 'bugs' etc).

To check if the Story points context is not being applied to the issue types of the issues where the problem is occurring and fix it, please follow the steps below:

1. Login as a site-admin user and select the Jira icon (, or ) > Jira settings > Issues.
  2. In the Fields section, click Custom Fields.
  3. Find the Story Points custom field and click  Configure > Edit Configuration
  4. Under Choose applicable issue types, flag the issue types you want the field to be applied:

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 17.45.59.png

Let me know if this is the problem you are facing.

jdavidge November 7, 2019

I was scouring the Jira community for this solution and it's exactly what I was looking for. Solved my problem perfectly. Thanks!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2019

You are welcome, @jdavidge

@Félix Réginent can you check if the steps above worked for you?

Félix Réginent November 12, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves ,

Thank you for your reply. It was a part of the solution. I have to set the "applicable context" to "global context" and follow these steps to modify the fields settings 

• Go to Project settings > Fields;
  • Find the issue type you have the Story Points field,
  • click on the arrow down do expand;
  • On the right-hand side, click on the pencil icon button;
  • Type Story Points on the search bar and press enter;
  • Under Actions, make sure that the field is set to Show
Like Deleted user likes this
Shanta Nathwani November 27, 2019

This is great! I think one of our team members turned it off, but instead of just doing it for their own project, they turned it off globally. 

I was able to follow the instructions above and turn it back on for just my project!

Thank you!

Suggest an answer