How can I add an additional layer with a navigation/menu?

Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2020

Hello community :-)

a few days ago I stumbled over a Confluence homepage that included a second navigation bar (including a menu) as you can see in the picture included.

navigation bar + menu.PNG

I tried to reproduce something similar in my instance, but didn't find it - neither in the Jira administration (look and feel) nor in the Confluence administration (look and feel).

Does anyone know how to insert an additional layer in the horizontal navigation?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sebastian

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

My first bet would be that a marketplace App has been installed and configured to insert that menu item.  It's probably a dedicated App, but it might also be one of the Scripting Apps which enables the use of "web fragments" (menus, buttons, panels etc that can be injected into some places)

Third bet would be on a custom theme that changes the menus.

I don't think that is a Cloud installation by the way, I suspect it is Server, where it is easier to insert menu items.

Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2020

Hey Nic,

thanks for your quick response. I'll test some of the marketplace apps and'll also try to find out, if they use the cloud installation or server. I talked to them a while ago, but they haven't replied for over a week to my email asking for how they did it. So maybe they'll respond to it in a few days. I'll keep you updated.

Zooey_Purdy May 1, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- do you know if it is possible to use a custom theme to change the new top navigation? I've been writing one but seems as though the UI locations (ie: system.header/left) aren't able to target that area anymore. 

I'm also wondering similarly about if a Scripting App with web fragments would be able to do something similar. 

For example, I'd love to be able to remove the drop shadow, or switch out the fonts.

I'd also love to know if you found the answer to this @Sebastian Mühleis !

Like Sebastian Mühleis likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2020

Yes, Themes can change the top navigation.  The more powerful themes can change the entire structure beyond recognition on Server (I once built a Confluence site that no-one recognised as Confluence until they started looking at the page source code!)

On Cloud, I would start with "Refined".  We are quite limited on theming on Cloud, but Refined manage to go a lot further than I thought anyone could.

For Server/DC, you have a lot more flexibility.  Look to Refined, Brikit and Themebuilder.  Refined and Brikit offer huge ranges of themes and can customise most of your Confluence with a huge range of options.  Themebuilder can customise everything that isn't an administration screen, but requires some investment in admin time in understanding it and building what you want from scratch.

Like Sebastian Mühleis likes this
Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2020

@Zooey_PurdyI'll have a call with the people responsible for the homepage connected to my example, so I hope they'll be able to give me some insights how they did it. I'll kepp you upated here.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-Thanks again for the tips, I'll at least look at Refined and Themebuilder.

Zooey_Purdy May 4, 2020

Thank you both! Im actually looking to create my own theme from scratch, and thats where Im having trouble-- targeting those locations with the schema / sample code provided -- seems as if they have changed the target UI locations for the navigation since the update. Im interested in if the Refined theme for could is able to target the navigation! Will look into it. 

Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2020

@Zooey_Purdy The guys from my example use Confluence (and Jira) on-premise - due to this they have way more options/possibilities than us Jira Cloud users. ;-)

Suggest an answer