Having trouble with rendering default values in a custom text field

Jenn Molyneaux August 5, 2021

Hi - 

I've poked around a bit on the forums and on google, but I'm still having trouble with my setup. It looks like what I want to do is possible (based on what I've read and seen so far), but clearly I'm not doing something right. 

I've got a custom field (multi-line text) and I want it to pre-populate with a table so that users fill it out when they're opening a new User Story. 

I've made sure that the field is using the Wiki Renderer (through the Field Configuration). I'm using Markdown in the Default Value. From that perspective, everything looks good. When I go to create a new User Story, I do not see the text rendered - it's still in the Markdown format. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 11.39.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 11.37.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 11.37.26 AM.png

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you in advance!!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dillon August 5, 2021

Hi @Jenn Molyneaux - Great question :)

I took a look at what was previously set up at my organization and compared it to what you've shown above, the only thing that looks different is that I have spaces after the |

The renderer is the same, and the configuration looks good as well.

Looks like:

h2. Initial Discovery

h3. Opportunity (Background info and what we want to do)
-

h3. Benefits

||| Business Strategy | |
||| User | |

h3. Risks
-

h3. Leading Indicators

||| Success Measures | |
||| Impact of doing nothing | |

When this is rendered in the Create window it looks like:

image.png

Hi Dillon - thank you so much for taking a look and sending this over my way. I'm going to give this a shot and let you know how it goes. This is EXACTLY what I want to be able to reproduce in my environment so my fingers are crossed!

Sadly that didn't work. :(

I copied exactly what you included (just to ensure that there couldn't be any user error on my part) but I'm still just getting the Markdown in my Create screen. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 2.17.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 2.16.31 PM.png

Dillon August 5, 2021

Ah - I did some searching and from this article - it looks like the ability to switch between Visual and Text in the Create screen is only available for Jira Server, and not Cloud. - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-switch-between-Visual-and-Text-mode-of-Issue-description/qaq-p/1014332

As when using Jira Server, I have the option to view Visual or Text, when viewing Text I also see the same results as you are.

image.png

Like Jenn Molyneaux likes this

Oh no! I just left Jira Server and have been enjoying Cloud a lot! That's really a bummer. Thank you for helping me run down an answer though, I really appreciate that!

I got it to work! The display is different in cloud, but similar behavior. When I clicked on that little box in the very very bottom left corner, it rendered the text in Markdown.

Thank you so much!!

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 3.03.02 PM.png

Like Dillon likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders