It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to switch between 'Visual' and 'Text' mode of Issue description in Jira cloud?

Issues in my project, when viewed full-screen mode, show all the wiki markup syntax when you put the issue description in edit-mode. On Jira server you used to be able to switch between 'Visual' and 'Text' modes to hide/show the markup.

This however doesn't occur when putting the description of an issue in edit mode, when viewing the issue in the side panel on a Board.

Any ideas?

2 answers

That is really disgusting that I can not use the markup instead of the visual editor in Jira Cloud.
For example, I cannot set a non-standard text color (i.e. apart from those colors that are present in the color-selector), which is critical when describing, for example, the css styles.

Please return the text editor! That was perfectly working for years (at least for local Jira installations).

2 votes

Hello,

Do you mean that you do not have the Visual and Text options in Jira Cloud? If so, then it is the correct behaviour. You use the old issue view. You should use the new issue view.

Hello, I wanted to know how you switch between Visual and Text in Jira Cloud, not if it behaves the same as the server version.

My problem is that when I go to edit a description, the text is all marked up (wiki markup), and there is no option to hide the markup and show the formatted version.

You can not switch between Visual and Text in Cloud. Cloud behaves differently from Server.

Like Marty likes this

So how do I 'hide' the wiki markup then? Do I have to apply a different view or something?

You need to use the New Issue View. You will not be able to see the markup codes there. The New Issue View is set by default:

New Issue view is available from boards:

Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 12.12.45.png

Like Marty likes this

Thanks @Alexey Matveev _cPrime_  can the 'new issue view' be applied to issues when they are not viewed from a board?

Here is an example:

Description field in view mode:

view_mode.PNG

Description field in edit mode:

edit_mode.PNG

As you can see, when the Description field is in edit mode, the markup syntax is shown.

You can not switch the new Issue View on, where the old issue view is shown. 

Yeah so I've confirmed that I'm using a 'classic' project, which would explain why the New Issue view isn't on. So why does the description field show markup when in full screen mode, and not when viewing an issue on a board?

When you view on the board, you use the New Issue View

Ok so there’s  no way to hide/turn off the markup (so it renders like the new issue view) when viewing an issue in full screen mode for a classic project?

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you