Getting a 401-Unauthorized Error on REST APi

This one seems to come up from time to time.  It looks like it is back today ... anyone else getting:

Error retrieving data for urlhttps://<domain>.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/field: <html> <head> <title>Unauthorized (401)

I tried a direct request through cURL and it responds the same way today.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Micky Caritte Community Champion Nov 29, 2017

Hi Chris,

REST API needs authentication and that can be achived by various ways, easiest and most common one being Basic Auth (using an HTTP Header encoded in Base64). When you're consulting the API through your browser, if you currently are logged in the application, a cookie is automatically retrieved but if the consumer of the API is a distant resource, it needs to be authenticated.

Did you send authentication credentials along with your request?

Thanks!

Thanks!  Ya, it just started working again later that day.  There was speculation that it was related to the CAPTCHA needing to be refreshed, but that wasn't it.  It just started working with no intervention.  Seems like there are changes being made on the REST system these days.  This also launched the beginning of another issue I am tracking separately now.  

Micky Caritte Community Champion Nov 29, 2017

Great, glad it worked then! I can guess you're using a cloud instance due to the URL and the REST API might be evolving a lot as you mentioned! usually it does not have a huge impact but might trigger some unexpected behaviours from time to time! Hope it won't affect your instance too much.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

139 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you