Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

Next challenges

Recent achievements

  • Global
  • Personal

Recognition

  • Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

  • Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

German umlauts causing troubles

We are running JIRA 7.3.5 and Confluence 6.1.2

Confluence pages with German umlauts in the title lead to wrong characters in JIRA issue links.

2017-07-04 17_44_35-[OPSUP-130] Umlauts Bug_ Test Task - EMAKINA JIRA.png

Umlauts in the summary of a Service Desk ticket also causing the "Related knowledge base articles" lookup to fail:

image-2017-05-31-17-37-39-302.pngChanging the summary to a text without umlauts re-enables the lookup.

Can someone give me a hint which encoding setting might cause this problem?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Solution

  1. cmd: Confluence\bin>tomcat8w.exe //ES//*JIRA-service-name-here*

  2. Add the following Options in tap JAVA
    -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
    -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8
  3. cmd: Confluence\bin>tomcat8w.exe //ES//*Confluence-service-name-here*
  4. Add the following Options in tap JAVA
    -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
    -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8
  5. restart Confluence and JIRA server

Here's the solution for unix based:

Set this parameter in $JIRA/bin/setenv.sh

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="-Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -Dsun.jnu.encoding=utf-8"

 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-18601

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel Community Leader Jul 05, 2017

Hi Andreas,

we had a similar problem with Jira macros in Confluence and JQL containing German special characters. Maybe it's the same problem on your side.

The problem were two wrong system properties on the Confluence side:

<sun.jnu.encoding>ANSI_X3.4-1968</sun.jnu.encoding> <file.encoding>ANSI_X3.4-1968</file.encoding>

 We had to change both properties to:

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

-Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8

to get rid of the problem.

Viele Grüße aus Hamburg 

Thanks for your quick answer, Thomas.

Where do I changes this properties exactly? Do I use one of the approaches described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-system-properties-168002854.html

Liebe Grüße aus Wien

I added both parameters to our System Properties but the problem still exists after rebooting Confluence and JIRA.

2017-07-11 10_48_47-172.31.4.56 - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Does anyone have an idea of a different cause of this problem?

I was able to fix this by adding the JVM arguments also to the JIRA server configuration.

Thanks again for your support, Thomas!

Liebe Grüße aus Wien
Andreas

Hi Andreas, 

which JVM arguments did you change in JIRA? 

Did you also check the search results for a link to a Confluence page?

screenshot-3.png

Schöne Grüße aus Dornbirn
Fabian

Like Thomas Egger likes this

Please refer to points 1 and 2 to the solution I posted, @Fabian Hußl.
I added 

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8

Unfortunately I can't tell your right now if this also fixed the search results. To be honest I've never used that dialog and just discovered that the feature seems to be broken on our instance. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 11.19.47.png

Like # people like this

Hi @Andreas , 

thank you for your quick answer! 

Ok, no problem - we will see 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fabian

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you