Epic displaying as None in a card on a Board

Colin Henderson September 7, 2022

Hello, please can anyone help?

I've created;

• Epic
    • Story
      • Task

When I view the task on the Sprint board it says None instead of displaying the Epic.

Capture.PNG

(The CTI referenced is a label)

I'd like to have my card display the Epic name instead of displaying None but I've failed to google how I could fix this (but I do believe it is possible, as it's shown in this ticket - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-show-Epics-in-Board-View/qaq-p/2117537)

Any steer would be appreciated please.

Thanks,

Colin

1 answer

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

Hi 

If you're looking at the task it doesn't have an Epic Link field to display the value. It's possible to create a scripted field to add to the display - if you want to buy the plugin to do it.

It's parent (DCC-36?) as a story should show the epic.

You could set Swimlanes to be based on the Epic which might give more clarity

Hi Tom, thanks so much. I'll check out Swimlanes.

The parent (DCC-36) does display the Epic - on the backlog view, in a field in the ticket itself and on the card on the board.

The sub-task doesn't show the Epic in the ticket (which is what I think you've explained above and advised a script can help).

What I'm looking at is slightly different, I think. It's a card for the sub-task, visible on the Active Sprints board. In Board settings I can set cards in this board to display both Epic and Labels.  Which I've done - see picture below - and it does, but for some reason it thinks there's no Epic assigned and displays 'None' in the card view on the board rather than the Epic (which in this case is the parent of DCC-36.).

In summary, it enables me to choose to display the Epic but doesn't actually seem to know what the Epic is, which was confusing me.

Does that make sense please? 

Capture.PNG

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

Hi

Each card is displaying based on the fields available to the issue it is rendering. Although it seems obvious what the Epic should be, it just isn't directly available on the sub-task.

It bugs the h*ll out of my users too.

Tom, thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

It is frustrating. It will take me a few days to get over it but I'm sure I'll forget about it think about it every time I see it :-)

I can use two labels to achieve a similar goal.

Best wishes,

Colin

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events