Does "Jira Server for Slack (Official)" send @mentions to the user's Slackbot channel?

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2019

I am preparing to migrate away from Slack Connector for Jira Server for... reasons. It looks like the Atlassian one does the stuff the other does BUT what I can't see definitively in any documentation is whether @ mentions show up in the mentioned user's Slackbot channel.

That's the only bit I can't see and is something that many have come to rely on here. Any ideas on this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Hello Mike,

I hope you are having a nice day.

You are correct to say that the default JIRA x Slack integration does not provide notifications on mentions, however, there are some options that you can use to build your own integration using third-party add-ons.

The easiest option that I found to implement such integration would be by using JIRA Automation plugin and configuring the following rule for each user or use an If/else block for multiple users:

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 3.10.41 PM.png

Since you would have to configure a rule for each user you have in your JIRA site, we understand that this is not a good solution for a big team.

If you would like to check more options, you refer to the thread below:

-Direct message notifications Slack

Let me know if this information helps.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2019

Thanks @Petter Gonçalves that clears it up for me. I am using another paid Slack integration right now that does that little thing. However this one seemed more pleasant to deal with for a variety of reasons.

That said, the mentions going to DM has proven exceedingly popular. Perhaps this should be a feature added to that plugin?

Best,

Mike

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2019

Hey Mike!

We do have an open feature request for this - API-80 Personal Jira Notifications in Slack. Take a peek and feel free to vote / watch the issue if this matches what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Daniel

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Deleted user March 4, 2020

Seems this app doesn't exist anymore for Cloud?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2020

Hey @[deleted] ,

Thanks for your interest in setting up the automation rules described above. We will have exciting news about automation very soon!

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer