Direct Message notifications slack

So far all the add-ons that I've found only support notifications sent to a pre-set channel in Slack.  

Is there any plugin where, in lieu of an email, send a direct message as a pre-set User/Bot directly to someone?  This would be useful when doing @ mentions directly at people.

5 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

We ended up writing a custom integration for our Slack workspace
https://medium.com/group-nine-media-product-team/slack-notifications-for-jira-comments-1d57879bc149

Is it available to everyone?

@Jennifer King unfortunately, it's only available in our workspace but the code is open source: https://github.com/msolomonTMG/jira-comment-slack-notification

Edit: I've since added steps to the link above so that anyone can install this for their Slack workspace & Jira instance

@Mike Solomon 

First of all, I'd just like to congratulate you on creating the resource, that's exactly what I needed.

I followed the setup tutorial, but when I got to step 5, I had a problem.

When I try to insert the URL in the "Event Subscriptions" of my app in slack, the following error is generated: "Your URL did not respond with the value of the challenge parameter.", Not allowing me to finish the configuration and use the bot . Can you tell me how to solve this?

@Junior Sartori thanks for the congrats. I just went through my own setup steps (which admittedly were rushed and I'm sorry about that). I discovered that I missed a few crucial parts. The steps have been updated. I recommend starting over if you can but if you wanna know what's been changed, this is what has been added:

Steps for setting up a Jira webhook (the new step 5)

Steps for setting up Incoming Authentication in the Jira Application link (the end of Step 4)

Adding APP_URL as an environment variable in the heroku app (the first environment variable in step 3)

@Mike Solomon thanks for the tutorial update.

I followed step by step, I was able to finalize the settings and leave the bot online in the slack.

I had problems in deploy by heroku, when access to the main URL of the application is returned error 500. I will analyze the settings in heroku to identify what is happening.

Once again, thank you very much for your attention.

It's a bit tedious but I was able to achieve this with Automation for JIRA. 

You basically have to create a separate automation rule for each person you wish this to work for. Since our use-case was for our product team which consisted of 6 people it was worth it.

1. First define your trigger as Issue Commented
  2. Then select condition: Compare condition
  3. Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 3.10.34 PM.png
  4. Your first value will be {{issue.comments.last.body}} - the body content of the last comment.
  5. Condition: Contains
  6. Second Value - firstName.lastName (follow this format)
  7. Then set your action to Send Slack message.
  8. Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 3.10.41 PM.png
  9. You can configure your message body however you wish, I prefer the above format.
  10. Instead of #channel-name set @Fname.Lname (follow this format, but this could vary based on your slack username format).
  11. Save & activate

Repeat this for every user you wish to receive DM's from comment mentions.

Hi,

Our Slack Connector Add-on can send direct messages over Slack to users mentioned in JIRA comments. Check out this documentation page to get more details on this.

Cheers,

Doh - we're on JIRA Server :(

Seems to be a quite wanted feature (I'm also looking for something like that). Was anyone able to find a free solution, or started to write a custom plugin?

Big lack of Jira to have not a good email or Slack implementation. Not wonder coming from an united-statian product... XD

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

196 views 3 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you