Disable auto-notifications for reporter?

As a reporter of a specific issue, I receive notifications for every update in the issue, although I am not watching the issue (it does give me the ability to start watching it).

Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Is it something that requires administrator privileges?

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
1 vote

It is mostly because the reporter is added into the notification scheme used by your project and not just watchers. Any changes to that can only be done by a JIRA admin.

Thanks! Straight to the point.

Are there specific instruction a JIRA admin can follow to modify the notification scheme to accomplish this?

Can you modify the notification scheme in such as way that it disables auto-notifications for some issues that someone is a reporter for but not others?

I wonder if this is a UX (user experience) issue that needs fixing, rather than a technical issue?

Perhaps the user interface needs to adhere to this mental model:

WHEN I (a Jira user) click 'Stop watching' on a Jira issue,
THEN I (a Jira user) stop receiving any e-mails and/or notifications about that issue. 

Which differs from the system designer's model of adhering to notification schemes (which are only editable by a system administrator).

Supporting evidence user's perceive this as a problem:

Supporting academic reference(s) for the hypothesis:

-

Anecdotally, I have experienced this issue in a couple of workplaces on many projects, and, in my experience, in response to this UX issue, users tend to:

• ignore/hide/disable all Jira notifications
  • stop commenting on Jira tickets
  • use other ways of communicating with the team that have the disadvantage of not being tied to a Jira issue number by default

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Looking for anyone who made the switch to Data Center

The Jira Marketing team is putting together an ebook on migrating to Data Center. We're looking for pro tips on how you staffed your project team and organized your Proof of Concept. Share yo...

34 views 0 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you