Chaniging Order of the Workflow Transisiton Buttons

I am having an issue with this. I follow the following items list of doing so. My question or concern is where it says property values of 10,20,30 this don't match the transitions numbers (the one in the parenthesis) I want them to be in. When I use that number next to the transition it still doesn't work. I am sure I am missing something easy here.

To change the order of transition buttons:

To change the order of transition buttons, including additional transitions in the Workflow menu, add the property key opsbar-sequence to each workflow transition that you wish to reorder. Each opsbar-sequence property key requires a property value that defines the order of the transition action on issue views.

1. Go to the transition's properties, as described in Transition properties above.
  2. Type opsbar-sequence into the Property Key field, under 'Add New Property'.
  3. Type a value In the Property Value field, The value must be a positive integer (starting at '0'); it defines the order of the transition buttons on issue views.
    Consider using a sequence of opsbar-sequence property values like 10, 20, 30... to allow new transitions to be easily added later.
  4. Click Add.

4 answers

4 votes

The id of the transitions has nothing to do with the sequence, you can ignore them.  Use 10,20,30 in the properties, it'll work fine.

This doesn't seem to work in the Cloud instance.

Are you spellling the property correctly?  That's the mistake I usually make.

Hello Atlassian & Community,

Our team has the same question. We'd like to reorder the Workflow Transition steps to match the order in which they usually appear.

Like Bryan Trummer, I've also added the properties to each of the workflow steps as per the documentation. Like Bryan, this also did NOT reoder the Workflow Transition steps as the documentation seemed to imply it would (as suggested in the links below):

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/re-order-Issue-workflow-buttons/qaq-p/383261

https://modem7.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/reorder-jira-workflow-buttons/

a) Can someone provide an accurate solution to this question?

b) @atlassian: can you update your documentation to make it more clear? It's quite foggy. ;)

Thanks to any and all!

Candace

I'm not sure what you're reading - the post Bryan gave from the docs is quite clear on the steps, and it works fine on both the Server and Cloud installations I've recently been working on.

The accurate solution is in the question already.

Hi Nic,

So I've added the opsbar-sequence property values like 10, 20, 30 but this doesn't affect the order in which the values appear in the Workflow button.

I've set the values like this: To Do: 10, In Progress: 20, Ready For Testing: 30, Testing: 40, Done: 50, Cancelled: 60

I'm expecting the values to show in the dropdown in this order:

Ready For Testing, Testing, Done, Cancelled

But instead I still see them in this order: Done, Testing, Ready For Testing, Cancelled.

workflow button order steps.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Candace

No suggestions, it should work (and does in my workflows)

Could you show us the property for "ready for testing" on the transition?

Hi Nic,

Absolutely, here's a screenshot of the property for "ready for testing" (still called "Dev Done" in some places). Do you see any issues with this?

Ready For Testing - Property Key Value Pair.jpgThanks!

Candace

Hi,

looks like have added it to the workflow step, but you must add it to workflow transition itself

Patrick has it right on the nose.  All the docs say to apply properties to the transition, and that does work.

(Sorry, I didn't see the comments earlier, as Lithium's email system was broken until more recently)

Wow, thanks Patrick and Nic. This is quite tricky to find the right feature / option, but I think I've got it now. I'm recording what I did here in case anyone else is looking for this in future:

1. Navigate to the draft workflow

Jira > Issues > Workflows

2. Click on the Transition(id) to be edited

Step 2 - click on the transition to be edited.jpg3. Click View Properties for that transition

4. Add the opsbar-sequence key with the appropriate number

e.g. For the Ready For Testing transition, I added:

opsbar-sequence = 30

Step 4 - add the opsbar sequence pair.jpg5. Click Add

6. Repeat steps #2 - #5 for the other steps that need to be reordered

Note: editing a Transition that is part of one step will update the Transition everywhere it is used.

7. When you are done your edits, click Publish Draft. You will get a popup asking if you want to save a copy of the previous version.

8. Enjoy your reordered steps! :)

Step 8 - enjoy your reordered steps.jpg

It seems that this doesn't influence the order of the Transitions in a Kanban Board if you map multiple statusses in one column. Does anybody know how to influence the vertical order of transitions there?

In the Kanban board in the Board Settings/Columns, you can drag and drop the stacked workflow states into your preferred order.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,798 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot