re-order Issue workflow buttons

Seth Fair May 18, 2012

On the issue page there are action buttons that you can move a ticket along the workflow, such as close, resolve, re-open, etc. It appears that only 2 buttons show and the rest are displayed in a 'workflow' dropdown menu. Is it possible to specify which items show to the left of the workflow dropdown and to specify which order they show in?

For example, I have customized my workflow to put a transition "Ready For Testing" that is between Open and Testing step. You still have the option to go from Open to Resolve or Open to Close, Start Progress, and these show to the left of the workflow button, but I'd prefer to have Ready For Testing prominent and the other two in the workflow dropdown. Can this be done?

3 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2012
Seth Fair May 21, 2012

That did it, thanks!

Like Deleted user likes this
Like # people like this
Adam Parkin March 2, 2016

What about for cloud installations of JIRA, since in those you can't edit the config file?

Karl Warren July 31, 2017

When you edit a workflow, you can click on a transition, and then click on Properties.  You can then add the opsbar-sequence property to set the order of button appearance.  You can similarly add the opsbar-transitions property to the status to control the number of buttons that appear outside the workflow dropdown.

Like # people like this
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

As of 2020, this doesn't seem to work with Jira Cloud or On Demand. Setting opsbar-sequence on the transition seems to have no effect.

4 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2014

We wrote a plugin to do this and believe it's worth it's price if you have a large installation. The plugin provides a drag and drop gui and allows reordering of workflow transitions within a step (reordering workflow transition steps is the next feature in our roadmap for the plugin).

You can find more out/install it/etc from the Marketplace page

We're currently offering a promotion for folks interested in our CCC Last Comment plugin where we include a free license to Transition Reorder X (what we call it) - had nearly $10K in sales of last comment since the promo went live and...nobody's bothered to download TRX. Strange when you can't even give it away...

To Clarify - this plugin only works with the Server version, not with OnDemand.

-wc

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2012

Hi Seth,

I think that yes it is possible. If I'm not wrong those buttons are shown in the order of the transitions are in the workflow. If your first transition of a step is the "Ready for Testing" then this would be the first button to show.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2012

Yeah, it looks it is the only way, just for the record, I didn't knew about this and I often erase a transition and create it again :/

Seth Fair May 18, 2012

Ah ok, whats the best way to re-order transistions. Is this the only way? http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Re-order+workflow+transactions

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer