Changing Order of the Workflow Transition Buttons Edited

Bryan Trummer Community Champion Apr 10, 2015

I am having an issue with this. I follow the following items list of doing so. My question or concern is where it says property values of 10,20,30 this don't match the transitions numbers (the one in the parenthesis) I want them to be in. When I use that number next to the transition it still doesn't work. I am sure I am missing something easy here.

To change the order of transition buttons:

To change the order of transition buttons, including additional transitions in the Workflow menu, add the property key opsbar-sequence to each workflow transition that you wish to reorder. Each opsbar-sequence property key requires a property value that defines the order of the transition action on issue views.

1. Go to the transition's properties, as described in Transition properties above.
  2. Type opsbar-sequence into the Property Key field, under 'Add New Property'.
  3. Type a value In the Property Value field, The value must be a positive integer (starting at '0'); it defines the order of the transition buttons on issue views.
    Consider using a sequence of opsbar-sequence property values like 10, 20, 30... to allow new transitions to be easily added later.
  4. Click Add.

information Adding the opsbar-sequence property to a workflow transition does not change the order of these transitions in the workflow in Text edit mode. The addition of this property only affects the order of transitions on the View issue page.

7 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

The id of the transitions has nothing to do with the sequence, you can ignore them.  Use 10,20,30 in the properties, it'll work fine.

Is there a way to re-order the transitions on a Kanban board? I have two transitions from Prod Build into Done, one of which is the 'All' transition into Done, which has a transition name of 'Canceled', which sets the Resolution to Canceled. The other transition name is Done and sets the Resolution to Successful. The Done status is the only status in the column on the board.

Currently, the 'Canceled' transition is the one that is on top, but I'd like to move it to the bottom, as it is more likely that users who aren't really paying attention will drag it to the top. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to change the order of the transitions.

I tried setting the opsbar-sequence properties on the two transitions and, while this does successfully change the order of the transitions on the issue, it doesn't impact the board. I also tried changing the transition names (on the off-chance that it was sorting alphabetically), but this didn't have an impact either.

Any insight you could provide would be appreciated. If there's no way to alter the order, is it possible to hide certain transitions from the Kanban board (so they're only visible on the issue itself)?

Thanks,
Matt

Hello Atlassian & Community,

Our team has the same question. We'd like to reorder the Workflow Transition steps to match the order in which they usually appear.

Like Bryan Trummer, I've also added the properties to each of the workflow steps as per the documentation. Like Bryan, this also did NOT reoder the Workflow Transition steps as the documentation seemed to imply it would (as suggested in the links below):

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/re-order-Issue-workflow-buttons/qaq-p/383261

https://modem7.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/reorder-jira-workflow-buttons/

a) Can someone provide an accurate solution to this question?

b) @atlassian: can you update your documentation to make it more clear? It's quite foggy. ;)

Thanks to any and all!

Candace

I'm not sure what you're reading - the post Bryan gave from the docs is quite clear on the steps, and it works fine on both the Server and Cloud installations I've recently been working on.

The accurate solution is in the question already.

Hi Nic,

So I've added the opsbar-sequence property values like 10, 20, 30 but this doesn't affect the order in which the values appear in the Workflow button.

I've set the values like this: To Do: 10, In Progress: 20, Ready For Testing: 30, Testing: 40, Done: 50, Cancelled: 60

I'm expecting the values to show in the dropdown in this order:

Ready For Testing, Testing, Done, Cancelled

But instead I still see them in this order: Done, Testing, Ready For Testing, Cancelled.

workflow button order steps.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Candace

No suggestions, it should work (and does in my workflows)

Could you show us the property for "ready for testing" on the transition?

Hi Nic,

Absolutely, here's a screenshot of the property for "ready for testing" (still called "Dev Done" in some places). Do you see any issues with this?

Ready For Testing - Property Key Value Pair.jpgThanks!

Candace

Hi,

looks like have added it to the workflow step, but you must add it to workflow transition itself

Patrick has it right on the nose.  All the docs say to apply properties to the transition, and that does work.

(Sorry, I didn't see the comments earlier, as Lithium's email system was broken until more recently)

Wow, thanks Patrick and Nic. This is quite tricky to find the right feature / option, but I think I've got it now. I'm recording what I did here in case anyone else is looking for this in future:

1. Navigate to the draft workflow

Jira > Issues > Workflows

2. Click on the Transition(id) to be edited

Step 2 - click on the transition to be edited.jpg3. Click View Properties for that transition

4. Add the opsbar-sequence key with the appropriate number

e.g. For the Ready For Testing transition, I added:

opsbar-sequence = 30

Step 4 - add the opsbar sequence pair.jpg5. Click Add

6. Repeat steps #2 - #5 for the other steps that need to be reordered

Note: editing a Transition that is part of one step will update the Transition everywhere it is used.

7. When you are done your edits, click Publish Draft. You will get a popup asking if you want to save a copy of the previous version.

8. Enjoy your reordered steps! :)

Step 8 - enjoy your reordered steps.jpg

Thanks Candace.
The explanation was perfect and easy to implement.

Regards.

It seems that this doesn't influence the order of the Transitions in a Kanban Board if you map multiple statusses in one column. Does anybody know how to influence the vertical order of transitions there?

In the Kanban board in the Board Settings/Columns, you can drag and drop the stacked workflow states into your preferred order.

It also doesn't appear to work when you've got a workflow where all statuses can lead to any other status. 

Attached is our current Engineering workflow.Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 14.16.36.png

And yet, the drop-down is a completely different order and I've set the ops_sequence key from 10=>140 for all the above statuses.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 14.17.21.png

It's frustrating our engineers....

check obsbar-sequence versus obsbar_sequence that you mentionned

hope it helps :-)

This doesn't seem to work in the Cloud instance.

Are you spellling the property correctly?  That's the mistake I usually make.

It seems that doesn't influence the order of the Update Parent Issue in a Scrum Board when the last sub-task is closed if you map multiple statuses in last column.

update parent issue.PNG

Hi, what does it mean, when opsbar-sequence is 11 or 21?

Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Champion Friday

It means the property has that value.  I'm not sure what your question is.

Sorry, I was not specific. I mean, that 20 is that button is on a second position, 30 on a third.... But when it is 21 or 31? What is this 1?

It's a number.  21 is smaller than 31.  The actual number is not important, just that it's larger or smaller than another

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

255 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you