Can't find roadmap feature in Jira Cloud

ysavoie October 22, 2018

Hi,

I just created a new instance of JIRA to test the roadmap feature into a Scrum project but I can't find Project settings > Features to enable the feature.

Someone can help me with that?

Thanks,

jira-project-settings.PNG

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2018

Hello,

You created a classic project not a next-gen project. You should create a next-gen project

ysavoie October 22, 2018

Thanks!!

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2018

You are welcome!

Janus Askø Madsen October 24, 2018

And how would the new roadmap feature become available if you are already running a classic project?

Like Mark Hostetler likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2018

It is not available for a classic project. You need to create a next-gen project.

makes sense - and my current classic project, would it be possible to migrate to the next-gen one? And what would be the pros/cons in such a migration?

Michael Mueller October 24, 2018

Hi there

We are running so many classic projects - controlled by 2 admins - we would need all these fancy improvements in the classic projects as well. 

What about that?

Is there somewhere a roadmap available for the  Jira classic procucts as well - I only can find a atlassians roadmap for next gen projects.

Best regards, Michael.

Like Janus Askø Madsen likes this

I agree Michael! Would love to have the roadmap feature on the classic project version! 

Like Billy Abildgaard likes this
francois vlerick October 25, 2018

I agree. 

this could be great on "classic projects" also, or to benefit a way to turn a "classic" to a next-gen projecT. 

Like Janus Askø Madsen likes this
Janus Askø Madsen November 8, 2018

Any news regarding roadmaps in "classic projects"?

Like Billy Abildgaard likes this
Enguerrand Vidor November 27, 2018

Hey guys, thanks for shedding some light on this.

What is the difference between a classic project and a next gen project? Indeed we don't want to recreate all our ongoing projects in Jira as it might create a mess in our sprints...

Cheers, 
Angus

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2019
Simon Bestbier January 13, 2020

The Classic / Next Gen choice feels like you need to select the lesser of 2 evils.

In Classic, you don't get a roadmap and in Next Gen you can't change a project lead (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-do-I-change-the-Project-lead-on-a-Next-Gen-Kanban-board/qaq-p/944575)

What would be great is a single product that gives you all this functionality rather than 2 half baked products.

Like # people like this
Ritesh Patil November 20, 2020

Guys, Roadmap is now available for the classic projects in Jira. It can be seen when the project is kanban, though I am not able to locate it when the project is agile.

Like Mui likes this
Mui February 16, 2021

Very helpful instruction how to activate Roadmaps for your classic projects: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-and-disable-the-roadmap/

Like # people like this
1 vote
Hal Leiner February 14, 2019

Proceed with Caution! There is a huge difference in classic vs next-gen projects. For me the next-gen showstopper was the fact that once a sprint is completed you are no longer able to access the stories from that sprint. There are many more differences but that is not the purpose of this thread.

1 vote
Alistair Eldred December 7, 2018

Also would like to see the Roadmap feature for Classic projects.

As the time tracking feature isn't available for the Net Gen projects we can only use Classics.

Alternatively please enable time tracking for Next Gen projects...

Navel Chikwanda October 7, 2019

Can anyone with creating a Next-Gen project. I already have two projects in JIRA

0 votes
Mathias Dirksmeier December 17, 2020

Another issue, but maybe related for some of you. You currently cannot see child issues from other projects on the roadmap, please upvote here:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21093 

0 votes
Steve Pettigrew June 20, 2019

Hi,

Currently because of the limitations listed below among other things it is not possible for us to migrate from classic to next-gen. Not the end of the world for now, but I hope to see in the future either improved migration or most of main new features added to both type of projects.

Regards,

Steve 

-----------------

Things to keep in mind if you migrate from classic to next-gen

Next-gen projects and classic projects are technically quite different, so a few things can break when you migrate from a classic software project to a next-gen software project. For example:

• Epic links and issue links: Any issue links in your classic project will not exist in your next-gen project. The issues themselves will still exist, but the links between them won't.

• Subtasks: All subtasks will be lost in this migration process.

• Custom fields: These must be recreated in your new next-gen project.

• Story points estimation: This data will be lost, however you'll be able to start using story points estimation by enabling the Estimation feature in your next-gen project.

0 votes
Daniel Schuba December 20, 2018

I'm really surprised by this limitations. I created my project only a while ago and didn't even know about this limitations. And now I saw the roadmap feature advertised and had so search for long to find this thread telling me that I can't use it. That's a really frustrating and sad experience. I think there needs to be an option to convert/migrate classic to next-gen projects. And besides the roadmap view I really don't see the difference between classic and next-gen.

Suggest an answer