How do I change the Project lead on a Next Gen Kanban board?

Chris Shelmerdine November 20, 2018

Some of our newer projects have been set up in the new Next Gen format but we cannot figure out how to update the Project Lead. There isn't' anything in the project settings which is where it is with older boards. Does anyone know how to update this?

19 answers

2 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2019

Hello all,

For those of you who would like to see this feature, please make sure you are voting on the feature request below:

• JSWCLOUD-17323 As a project administrator, I want to be able to define and change a Project Lead in a next-gen project type

We see your comments here and your feedback and appreciate it, but commenting +1 will not contribute to the votes per our policy on Implementing New Features

By voting on the feature request, your opinion is counted and you will automatically be added to the list of watchers so you can receive updates on this in the future.

Thank you for your understanding!

Regards,

Shannon

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2020

@Shannon S ": how many votes required to get something shipped...??

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2020

Hi Andy,

There's no particular set number of required votes. It all depends on a combination of the factors listed in the article I shared above, our Implementation of New Features Policy

Shannon

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2020

Okdioki! Thanks @Shannon S 

Like Shannon S likes this
4 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user November 20, 2018

Hi @Chris Shelmerdine,

As far as I am aware there is no Project Lead in Next Gen projects.

Instead you can navigate to Project Settings > People and assign the person you want to be project lead to the project administrator role.

Hope this helps

Monique Matthews December 5, 2018

Hi Danny, 

I have a next gen project that I've created for a team that has my name listed as the Project Lead when I go to the View All Projects page. I'd like to change this to the team lead and also create the default that assigns "Unassigned" issues to the Project Lead. This this possible yet with next gen projects as it is with the classic projects?

Deleted user December 5, 2018

Hi @Monique Matthews,

Unfortunately it is not, or rather I have not seen this functionality in Next-Gen projects.

There does not seem to be a Project Lead with a default assignee setting as such, instead Next-Gen projects currently rely on 3 role types only; Administrator, Member, and Viewer. 

Hope this helps

Monique Matthews December 5, 2018

Got it thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2019

As a side note, here's a feature request to be able to set a Project Lead in Next-Gen projects:

• JSWCLOUD-17323 As a project administrator, I want to be able to define and change a Project Lead in a next-gen project type

Please feel free to vote if this is something you'd like to see!

Regards,

Shannon

Like # people like this
Uday Joshi February 27, 2019

Yes please.... we need this as I'm not able to update the project Lead.

Erick Lee April 8, 2019

Yes, this is a ux bug.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

This is not the right answer unfortunately.... you need to use cURL and postman or just raise a support ticket.
More on that here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Ultimate-agility-the-ONLY-way-to-change-a-Next-Gen-Project-lead/ba-p/1296695#M1232

16 votes
adrian.wood January 30, 2019

Being able to set this would be very useful. I setup a project for a team who I have no involvement with but now I'm stuck as the Project Lead even though I'm not!

Darren Ravenscroft February 5, 2019

x2 on this point.

Like # people like this
Iñigo Ardanza February 21, 2019

+1

Mel Healey June 18, 2019

Me to - annoying it cant be changed

8 votes
Julia Ziobro January 24, 2019

The person who created the project shows up as the project lead even though there are three administrators. You really need to be able to SET the project lead... deleting my VP as an admin is not politically feasible yet it appears to be the the only way to make me lead of my own team. 

3 votes
Strivven System Admin February 22, 2019

+1 on this. :/

2 votes
Iñigo Ardanza February 21, 2019

We are facing same problem. Where could we change the project lead? It's important.

Darren Ravenscroft February 21, 2019

Frustratingly, it isn't possible yet. See 'accepted answer' above.

2 votes
geoConvergence Admin February 18, 2019

Same here, if I setup a project I am stuck as Project Lead. Next-gen projects have a lot of issues this being one of them.

Brian March 14, 2019

Agreed

1 vote
Thaisa Tribst November 11, 2019

Everyone, besides comment, please vote

1 vote
Zeyno A Dodd June 7, 2019

+1

1 vote
Hanna Karlsson March 20, 2019

+1 

0 votes
Deleted user June 25, 2020

+1

0 votes
Alfredo Trujillo June 4, 2020

+1 vote

0 votes
Kyle Steenkamp February 26, 2020

+ 1

0 votes
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020
0 votes
Hayo Baan November 11, 2019

+1

0 votes
Dirk Moors September 10, 2019

+1

0 votes
Thaisa Tribst August 27, 2019

+1

wtf?

0 votes