Automation for Moving Epics to In Progress/Done when Any/All children stories set to a status

JD Lobue January 29, 2021

Hello,

I'm looking to create automation around setting Epic status to In progress when any 1 of it's children issues are set to in progress category type.

Also, I want to set the epic status to done when all of it's children issues are completed.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JD Lobue January 29, 2021

Figured it out

Jon Norton December 13, 2021

Hi @JD Lobue are you able to provide a screenshot of the automation rule for setting Epic status to In progress when any 1 of it's children issues are set to in progress category type?

Struggling to figure it out at present.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Joy RK January 29, 2021

@JD Lobue 

You can try this automation rule using the following components.

1. Trigger: Issue transitioned 

2. Issue fields condition 

3. Branch rule / related issues

4. Related issues condition

5. Transition issue

Note:

• If your initial status is New then you should use New in place of To Do
  • In step 2, you could also say If issue type = Sub-tasks ; I did not use that because my epics have issue types that include but is not limited to sub-tasks

Here's a visual representation, do test and I hope that you can reach your goal :) 

Update to response:

the last part of the automation should be 

Then: Transition issue to “In Progress “

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 17.05.53.png

Dann Williams March 29, 2022

Slightly confused - why would moving and issue to "In Progress" transition the parent task to "Done"?

JD Lobue March 29, 2022

yeah...that is wrong. As the title instructs, I was looking for creating automation around setting Epic status to In progress when any 1 of it's children issues are set to in progress category type.

Also, I want to set the epic status to done when all of it's children issues are completed.

Like # people like this
Dann Williams March 29, 2022

Yeah, I'm having the same issue...

Tried following this, but didn't seem to be able to get it to work:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Would-like-Epic-Status-to-change-based-on-story-s-status/qaq-p/1547781

Perhaps you'll have better luck!

Jon Norton March 29, 2022

I set up the below and it works for my projects:

Automation.PNG

Like # people like this
Joy RK March 29, 2022

Thanks for flagging the error in the screenshot.

Update to response:

the last part of the automation should be 

Then: Transition issue to “In Progress “

Like Dann Williams likes this
Dann Williams March 30, 2022

Hi Joy,

Thanks for updating - makes sense now! 

Like Anna Hummel likes this
Luis Dominguez February 23, 2023

Did this work. It did not work for me. I moved over a sub-task issue from To Do to In Progress under an EPIC but the status on the Epic did not move from To do to In Progress.

Look at the rule I wrote

Epic from to do to in progress.pngThe subtasks was moved from To Do to In Progress but not the status of the Epic.From To Do to In Progress Epic Test Example on Board.png

Todd Heath February 24, 2023

Try this:

2023-02-24_8-52-42.jpg

Like Luis Dominguez likes this
Luis Dominguez February 24, 2023

Excellent it worked. Thank you. 

Can you please help me with this one? It does not create subtasks or another type of issues

image.png

Andy McGrath April 25, 2023

@Lui I don't know specifically if this is the answer, but it might help: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/112180

I saw this while trying to solve a different automation question.

0 votes
Ad Stam November 29, 2023

Hi, I come up with a more generic solution. With each transition of issues, the status of the Epic is tested in relation to (all) underlying issues. The advantage of this is that if the Epic has been changed manually, the status will be corrected again during the first transition of an underlying issue, regardless of the status. I also include the Epic Status in this rule (which is different from the Workflow Status!).

edit epic flow.png

The script only performs actions when necessary. Not only is logging not unnecessarily contaminated, additional actions (such as sending an email as a reminder) can also be initiated.

Use an If/Then for the conditions. A second filter is then used in the block: Related Issues Condition.
Use the smart-value in this filter to choose the correct Epic.

edit epic flow - match filter.png

If desired, the Epic status can also be adjusted after adjusting the workflow status. This must be done with an Advanced change.

edit epic flow - edit Epic Status.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events